Unable to delete competencies

Unable to delete competencies

by Joanne Dodd -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there, 

I am having troubles trying to delete competencies.  I have unlinked them from course and removed them from learning plans but it still says I can't delete them. 

I have tried deleting the associated learning plans but I get a message that I don't have the correct permissions for that.  I have checked my permissions and my role (Manager) is listed as having permission.  I have added 'Authenticated User' to the permissions too because somewhere I saw that was a role associated to me.  I have also tried deleting the competency frameworks and get the same message about not having permission. 

I'm lost.  

Any help appreciated.  

Joanne 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanne Dodd

Re: Unable to delete competencies

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Competencies can not be deleted.

Your only choice is to rename them, X_OLD_and the current name so they drop to the end of the list.

Competency should have a "valid date" with a start of validity and end of validity, so that students that earn the competency can be reported on for when they held the competency.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Joanne Dodd -

Thanks for the reply Shirley.  

For some reason I am able to delete some frameworks but not others.  It's annoying because I just want to change a few competencies within the framework but now I need to rewrite them all again. 

I don't use valid dates because these are internal training courses for a business rather than a school.  The times at which they are used are therefore variable because of different start times for new staff.  

Thanks again

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

You can only delete a framework if no student/employee activity is associated with the competency framework.

There are no validity dates in Moodle - IMHO the data objects would be more useful for administration of courses and reporting if the objects used validity dates for the objects and relationships.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Joanne Dodd -

Thanks for your reply Shirley.  

No one had any competencies assessed in the course but there were enrolled users.  I will just archive and rebuild the frameworks.

Thanks for your help. 

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Erin Courville -

Hi JoAnne,

Click on the competency that you'd like to delete, then click on the linked courses.  Remove the competency from any courses you have it linked to (if you haven't assessed students with that competency).  Navigate back to the Competency Framework, and you will now be able to delete it.  I hope that works for you smile 

-Erin

In reply to Erin Courville

by Joanne Dodd -

Thank you for your reply Erin.  

These were competencies that were not assessed.  I unlinked them from the course but they still wouldn't delete.  I ended up archiving them with an irrelevant name and recreating the frameworks.  

Thanks for your answer anyway. 

Regards

Joanne

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

That was my experience too. I wish that the competencies and learning plan templates used the same catalog structure as the courses. smile