Certificate: Add more than one page

Certificate: Add more than one page

by Sarah Cluderay -
Number of replies: 6

Hello

I think I put this on the wrong page in the forum before, so trying again.

I'm really new to using Moodle (version 3.4.1+). We run a series of courses for which we upload a .png of the certificate using the certificate plugin, and then within the course we add it as a border image and specify in the settings that we would like certain details to be added to it such as the course completion date. The rest of the certificate is made up of branding and text that has to be included and that is added to the original file before upload.

We would like to add another page to the certificates, just as a .png with branding, text and images. Nothing else needs to be added to this page by the system. I incorrectly assumed that because the certificates are generated by the learner as a PDF when they have completed the course, that it would just be a case of creating a two page PDF and adding it to the certificate activity for each course; but as I can now see, in the certificate plugin, only .png and .jpgs are accepted file types.

I've looked online and at these forums but the closest I can see to helping me is the following:

https://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Certificate_customizing#Adding_a_second_page

I can't see a way to add the code outlined on the above page, but equally I don't think that I can manipulate my certificates in this way as I am not creating a custom certificate (unless I've missed something?)

Any help would be appreciated! I used Blackboard for many years so I'm really eager to learn about Moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Cluderay

Re: Certificate: Add more than one page

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Moodle! smile

Judging from your comment it appears you are using the 'Custom certificate' module, not the 'Certificate' module (confusing, I know). So, the doc link you mentioned is not applicable.

Please see https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Custom_certificate_module#Editing_a_custom_certificate instead.

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Sarah Cluderay -

Hi Mark

Thank you smile Thank you for this link, it make sense. I'm following the instructions, and the only problem that I am experiencing is that when I view the certificate, when I click on the cog icon, I can't see 'Edit Custom Certificate' just 'Edit Settings'. I've provided a screen shot of what I can see. 

When I upload the image for the certificate in the site settings, I also can't see Manage Templates. I've also provided a screen shot of what I can see here. It makes me wonder if we are missing something that hasn't been installed.

Attachment Certifcate Site Admin.png
Attachment Settings Certificae.png

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ah Sarah, sorry, I was completely mistaken! You are indeed using the old mod_certificate plugin.

There are two plugins -

1. https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_certificate
  2. https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_customcert
The reason there are two is listed in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=229683.

One of the big problems with the old plugin (that you have now discovered) is that it requires PHP knowledge and access to the files. In your example, you will need to edit the file mod/certificate/type/<typeyouareusing>/certificate.php and add the code listed in the docs ($pdf->AddPage()) in your first post to create a new page.
In reply to Mark Nelson

by Sarah Cluderay -

Ah I see, thank you, I don’t have access to the files, but it’s  probably going to be easier to work with the customcert plugin so I will look at installing that. Thank you for helping me Mark, I appreciate it and it’s great to be learning more about Moodle!

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Sarah Cluderay -

Hi Mark

I've tested the plug in and that has worked perfectly. It's really good! I just have one more question which you may or may not be able to help with. No worries if not. If I go into a course with a pre-existing certificate activity added to it, hide the certificate activity and add this new custom certificate with the same restrictions (such as the learner needs to have completed certain quizzes to receive the certificate) will any learners who have already completed the course and received their certificate be able to go back into this new custom certificate and retrieve their certificate? They won't need to complete the course again for instance.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Sarah,

We do this all the time.  For example, we create  a certificate that has to be renewed every year.    In the same course, we create a new activity (sometimes just copy the previous activity), create a new certificate, link it to the new activity.   We hide the old certificate and old activity.  

We use this for trainer renewals.  They have taken the face to face intense course.  Come back every year to renew and see what has changed.   We can match their names with their student names to make sure the student received instruction from a qualified person.

Chris