Internet access is hardly avialable in Lao PDR

Internet access is hardly avialable in Lao PDR

by Somsanith Mounphoxay -
Number of replies: 4

In Lao PDR, where I was born and grew up, is very hard to access to the internet especially in the provinces. The fee for the internet is also very expensive there for students have less chance to find their resurces to learn. Can you immagin how can they pay for the internet that cost 3USD per one hour when their income is less than 1USD perday.

If you have any suggestion to get through the internet easily and reasonable price will be greatly benifit to me and Lao people.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Somsanith Mounphoxay

Cheap internet access made available in Dharamshala using wifi network

by Jamie Pratt -
The easiest way of making available cheap access to the internet would be to use wifi. We have such a project here in Dharamshala in India where we have connected up most of the TIbetan exile government institutions using a wifi mesh technology developed here. See http://www.tibtec.org/drup/

A wifi network would allow you to cheaply set up a network so that users in an area could share a internet connection - buy there bandwidth in bulk and possibly save money.

Jamie
In reply to Jamie Pratt

Re: Cheap internet access made available in Dharamshala using wifi network

by Somsanith Mounphoxay -

Thanks so much Jamie Prott

But how can i buy it? will i have to have a credit card? but i dont have one, it very expensive to have one here.

Nith

Re: Cheap internet access made available in Dharamshala using wifi network

by Jamie Pratt -
Wifi is just a way of connecting up computers in a local area network or with some expertise an advanced network like we have in Dharamshala can cover a large area. Wifi equipment is fairly widely available, you might have to have someone bring it into Laos for you though if it is not available locally. I'm sure such equipment would be widely available in Chiangmai or Bangkok in Thailand. But wifi equipment is going to be no good to you if you cannot find a local internet service provider of some kind to connect everyone up to - to find out about what is available you are going to have to ask people in the know locally.

In a few countries possibly including Laos the radio frequencies that wifi uses may not be delicensed.

Svar: Internet access is hardly avialable in Lao PDR

by Anders Berggren -

This might be a solution in the future.

More info here.

Extensive general info on IT distribution here.

Good luck! Anders