Git local changes

Git local changes

by Kevin von Spiczak -
Number of replies: 2

Hello everyone,

so I followed the installation quick start guide and have a moodle instance running.
Now we installed some themes and extensions, so we have local changes.

How am I supposed to update to a new moodle version now? Would i stay on the branch that I set the repo up with and just git stash my local changes, git pull, git apply stash?

Kind regards

Kevin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin von Spiczak

Re: Git local changes

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you'd pulled Moodle from git and then added some non-core plugins then you wouldn't be getting that message.

This implies that you have made changes to files under the control of git, i.e., core Moodle files. It's possible that the only change was to change the file mode. If you don't care about that (and you probably don't)..

git config core.filemode false

...should 'fix' it. 

Failing that, you really did change something in core Moodle files. If you are simply updating on the same branch then just commit your changes and then 'git pull'. If you have conflicts you will have to deal with them. 

I've been using Git for a long time and have never found a reason to use 'git stash'

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Git local changes

by Kevin von Spiczak -

Thank you, I just realized, that the changes should be only new files that were not in git previously. All the other changes, actually change files that are part of the moodle git. So that is already wrong. I will discuss what happened on the server and who put which files where and why.