Danish characters become chinese in chat

Danish characters become chinese in chat

by Ian Semey -
Number of replies: 3
Hi folks,

In our installation of moodle, if we create a chat and type one of the three danish characters, we cannot see them. They become chinese characters, says one of my teachers. I only see question marks. Is this a bug in the chat module or is it something wrong with our installation, and how can we fix it?

/Ian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Semey

Re: Danish characters become chinese in chat

by Somsanith Mounphoxay -

Sorry that my reply is not the answer for your question. I am having similar problem and have not figure out any answer, but if you found the answer may you tell me as well?

Nith

In reply to Somsanith Mounphoxay

Re: Danish characters become chinese in chat

by Ian Semey -
Not yet, I'm consulting our local sysadms aswell, maybe they can shed some light over this problem smile
In reply to Ian Semey

It looks like Internet Explorer keeps on using 8859-1 in chat and messaging...

by Ian Semey -
It seems that it has something to do with the charsets Unicode, UTF-8 and 8859-1, how the chat module and the browser handles 'foreign' letters. Our sysadm modified the chat script (ugly hardcoding smile ), telling the browser to send characters in UTF-8. This works with Firefox but not Internet Explorer... Presumably IE still sends in 8859-1

He is working on a better solution. Does anybody have a hint of what is needed here?

/Ian