Moosh

Re: Moosh

by Jamie Tinley -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Ken, 

I think you'll like the solution below.  I of went down the wrong road trying to to connect by installing samba, nitroshare, libpam-smbpass, teamviewer, etc and finally gave up and asked my younger but very busy boss at work. Took me 2 years to appreciate that like you he is way smarter than me even though he is 15 years younger.  He works better the busier he is because his brain goes on overdrive to solve things fast so he can get back to business. I hate bothering him and you but eventually I cry uncle. He first tried to continue my samba method I had invested so much time into but after he finally got them talking (10 min) then I asked why cp does not work for me and he said I have to use samba's commands to copy - which he realized would be forever for me so he scrapped my project and took about 5 min for a more elegant solution I'm still trying to understand. I'm typing all the steps both he and I took to help anyone else out who comes this way.  Some of the steps maybe were not needed so my apologies.

Bottomline command that worked: 

Scp /home/mdladmin/Public/BackupsJT/CourseBackups/001backup.bmz mdladmin@10.62.10.27:/Public

Installation details Connecting two ubuntu virtual servers on a Hyper V platform ( commands in bold)

U1: ubuntu old server hostname moodle runs 14.04 with gui  at 10.62.10.27

U1 shared file path to mbz backups is:  //home/mdladmin/Public/BackupsJT/CourseBackups 

U2 ubuntu new server hostname: moodleu2  runs 16.04 without gui

U2 shared path /home/Public

ping moodle  on U2 to U1 name.  and saw that it returned 127.0.1.1  To him that meant it was pinging itself. He realized I had in creating my NS I had re-used an even old hyper-v virtual windows server called moodle and despite my new hostname being moodleu2 it thought of itself as moodle like my U1. BTW, for those of you wondering if it is worth the learning curve to move from windows to ubuntu I would say YES, thanks Ken!

ifconfig to see the ip address of each server above

chmod 0777 /home/mdladmin/Public  on both U1 and U2

got insight here when he saw this line:  scp /path/to/file username@a:/path/to/destination

Sudo ufw status on new U2

Sudo ufw allow 21/udp on new U2

Sudo ufw allow 21/tcp on new U2

Sudo ufw allow 22/udp on new U2

Sudo ufw allow 22/tcp on new U2

ps not sure what processes he wanted to check here

Apt-get install ssh on U2, was already installed on U1

Sudo ufw status (showed both 21 and 22 both had tcp and udp)

Scp /home/mdladmin/Public/BackupsJT/CourseBackups/001backup.bmz mdladmin@10.62.10.27:/Public

I hope this helps someone smile