Using Moodle in SQL

Using Moodle in SQL

by Yoel Gutierrez -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, 

I am new in Moodle (entry level) but i was assigned to install Moodle site in my company, So I installed, create courses and is running for the last 4 months now. The issue we have now is that the developers we have in the company have move everything that they have to SQL databases. So now my boss want to know if:

1.  is possible to run moodle in the standard SQL. If yes, 

2.  do I have to do everything from scratch or there is a way to move from MySql to SQL and leave it running in SQL.?

3. is this will affect the moodle?

Thanks for your help

Yoel 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yoel Gutierrez

Re: Using Moodle in SQL

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

When you say 'SQL' do you mean MS SQL Server?

If you're migrating only the database, then a google search for "MySQL to MS SQL Server migration" should get you the information you're after.

Also, if by "leave it running in SQL" you mean running it on a MS Windows server, then you might find this page helpful: https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Windows_installation (select the version of that page that corresponds to your Moodle version)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's tricky to move from one database server to another. I would avoid it. 

If you don't have too many courses you can use backup and restore to move them to a completely new site. 

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yoel,

Answering to your queries,

1: Yes it's possible to run Moodle in SQL Server Standard edition, even Free edition will do just fine.

2: Just like Howard mentioned, take backup of your courses, setup your new moodle with MS-SQL Server database, and import courses, that will be the easiest and most likely hassle free way to do that. Migrating a DB from MySQL to SQL Server is still possible using SSMA (SQL Server Migration Assistant), but may will give you trouble in long run, so better avoid (re-quoting Howard on that)

3: It wont effect moodle, depending upon what are you running as a web server, if it's IIS, then being windows platform things will work just fine, if your web servers are Linux based, then though still possible to run MS-SQL Server, but setting it up would be little tricky.