Quiz: Each attempt builds on the last

Quiz: Each attempt builds on the last

by Lee Cujes -
Number of replies: 7

Hi guys

We have a quiz established with deferred feedback and "each attempt builds on the last".

Mock example: Quiz with 10 questions. Review shows student answers 8 of 10 correctly on first attempt.

Actual behaviour on next attempt: All questions are displayed. Even the questions she answered correctly are displayed and editable. There is nothing to indicate they have already been answered correctly. Nor is there indication which questions were incorrect. The only way a student can re-attempt the quiz with confidence is to physically write down the correct/incorrect question numbers during the review. This is far from ideal, especially in quizzes with many questions.

Desired behaviour on next attempt: Only the two questions in error are displayed. If this is not possible, the next best thing would be to lock the questions already answered correctly (why would you ever want to change a response which is already correct?). If that is not possible, at least show which questions were correct/incorrect from the previous attempt.

Would love any assistance with settings in this area!

(Using Moodle v3.4)

Kind Regards

Lee

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Cujes

Re: Quiz: Each attempt builds on the last

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Lee

What are your Review options set at? Can you give us a screenshot of them?

In reply to Kim Salinas

by Lee Cujes -

Sure! Here they are...

In reply to Lee Cujes

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Thanks. They all look good. The quick easy thing would be to have the user open the review in one window and the 2nd attempt in the other window. You could also try some of the other question behavior modes and have them attempt each question multiple times with or without penalty (see the Adaptive mode). Some of the other behavior options can be found here. https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Question_behaviours

Happy Moodling!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kim Salinas

by Lee Cujes -

Thanks Kim, appreciate the feedback and you taking the time.

From a usability point of view, it's a kludge to have people open things in separate browser windows. Great if you're in a classroom and can instruct your students, impossible if you're dealing with 1000+ students remotely with no teacher support. And secondly, it's essentially a no-go for students using phones or tablets (no second screen, super fiddly to toggle).

I'm really surprised this functionality (hide correctly answered questions on next attempt) seems to not exist.

If anyone knows more, I implore you - please respond to this thread! smile

In reply to Lee Cujes

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Switch to interactive mode.  This allows them multiple attempts at the question while in the quiz and will keep the correct answers in place (if that is checked within the question) so that they do not have to answer them again.  Deferred feedback means you don't want them to know anything until the quiz is done.

In reply to Lee Cujes

Interactive With Multiple Tries (was: Quiz: Each attempt builds on the last)

by Sam Mudle -

Hi Lee,

The big picture is that you are trying to make the quizzes work as a formative assessment/mastery learning activity - which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, when you retake a moodle quiz with the setting EACH ATTEMPT BUILDS ON LAST, it only pre-fills in the choices from the last quiz attempt, but will not tell them which of them were wrong.  They could open the last attempt in one window, and then take the new attempt in another window, but that's just the way moodle handle's quiz attempts.

https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Question_behaviours

There's a couple of ways you could handle this:

One way (the way I do it now)

Immediate Feedback
Close date set so they can't just keep taking the quizzes forever
Unlimited Attempts
Each Attempt Builds on Last - Off - Students hate this, but I want to force them to study
Shuffle Questions - On
Delay between attempts - 1 hour
Review Options - Turn off everything for Right Answer except for After the quiz is closed

Students take the quiz, each question has a check answer button. If they get question wrong, they can't change their answer until they re-attempt the quiz, but they do see the feedback.  I kinda punish the students when they retake the quiz by making them wait an hour.  I also shuffle the questions which forces them to search the old quiz for the question.  Some of the quizzes have calculated questions - which is really the best type of question for this, but as you might know, creating a calculated question takes some work.

Another way: (which is more what you want)

Interactive with Multiple Tries (if you hate penalizing the student, then use Adaptive Mode (no penalties))
Close date set
Attempts - 1 - then students don't have to go back an look at previous attempts due to tablet use.
Each Attempt Builds on Last - doesn't matter because only one attempt
Allow redo within an Attempt - Yes - so even if they bomb the question, they can still keep trying just to see if they can get the right answer even though they will get no credit.
Shuffle Questions - On
Review Options - I think you have to uncheck Right Answer for During The Attempt - but i'm not sure. You just don't want to tell them the right answer for the first time they get it wrong, because then they will always get the next try correct. *shrug*, but maybe this has to be checked.  Try it out and let me know.

The big issue with this is that you now have to edit each question and determine the penalty and the number of tries under Multiple Tries setting.  Watch that video below. By default, moodle quiz questions remove 1/3 of the points for each wrong attempt.  So after 3 wrong answers, they get a zero.  There's a nifty feature that will allow you to remove the wrong choice they made after they try the question. If you hate penalizing students, you could just do adaptive mode without penalties instead of interactive.

This is probably closer to what you want.  

Summary: I think Interactive mode is prone for abuse because students will just click each option till they get it correct.  If you don't penalize them somehow, then what is the motivation to actually think about the question?  Just something to think about.

Remember that once you have your quiz settings correct, go into SITE ADMINISTRATION->PLUGINS->ACTIVITY MODULES->QUIZ and change all of those settings so that when you create a new quiz, you won't have to remember to change everything again.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)