Grouping Together Multiple SCORM Courses?

Grouping Together Multiple SCORM Courses?

by Don Dulla -
Number of replies: 4

Running Moodle 3.1.1, we have many courses setup as single activity SCORM courses. They are already built to be part of a sequence, for example course 1 may be logging into the application, course 2 would be setting up your preferences, course 3 would be using a feature of the software. These all need to be part of a parent curriculum / learning plan?

I'm trying to configure moodle in such a way that an employee (or group of employees) can be assigned to this curriculum and all the child courses will be assigned to the user and they are prompted to complete them in order. 

• Is it possible to have a course with multiple SCORM packages that the user must complete in sequence?
  • Would a Meta-Link course help with this? (Is it possible to have them complete courses in order and will the meta course report results for child items?)
  • I've also tried assign courses to competencies and then assigning it to a learning plan, but i can't get the learning plan to show up for the users (Users login to my dashboard by default), any thoughts?

My terminology may be off, we are moving from another LMS, apologies in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Dulla

Re: Grouping Together Multiple SCORM Courses?

by Mark Whitington -

Hi Don,

I believe you can do what you want.

We have multiple scorms within a course. This allows a modular progression as you described.

Set the course to "Topics" or "Weeks" mode. (where you set Scorm single activity)

Add scorm activities as desired.

Set restrict access to force the sequence you want.

Not sure about your Meta course proposal... we use the subcourse plugin to merge course grades as activities.

Cheers

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Whitington

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I agree with Mark about putting multiple scorms into one course, assuming they are all related content.  There is a fantastic third party course format (Onetopic) which allows you to make each topic display as a tab.  Just like in Topics, you can hide each topic from the student until they complete the prerequisite content.  Onetopic is cool because when you hide topics until they complete, once they complete, the new topic opens up at the top.  I just tested this and it looks amazing!

In reply to Don Dulla

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

As described by Mark, that will work, but I am curious about your thinking around using Meta-courses. 

Meta courses are used where there is a lot of common content for a lot of users. Instead of having huge numbers of students in one course, you can break up the actual course enrollments but keep a single course full of content. Does this relate to what you were thinking, or your situation? 

In reply to Don Dulla

by Ryan Hazen -

I'm going to echo the consensus here -  we use SCORM packages in separate sections of the same course to track progress across discrete competencies in a progression. You can use restrict access and activity completion together to set the user flow through these items.

MetaCourses, in my experience, are best for linking multiple sections of the same course together (for example, in higher ed where you have multiple sections of, say, math 101 being populated by an external database like LDAP). This is where all students are getting the same content but are enrolled in MA-101-A, MA-101-B, etc. Meta course can allow you to create a single course then put all students into that course in separate groups and have enrollments dynamically updated as students add and drop.

IF you go the multiple single-activity course route as you describe, I would make a master course and use subcourse activity to record grades from all the separate courses. BUT it would probably be easier to just make a single course and load all your SCORMs in there.