User Login Failing Reason ID 3

User Login Failing Reason ID 3

by Rick Franz -
Number of replies: 6

I have a couple student accounts that are not able to log in.  The log shows they are failing with the Reason ID of 3.  From what I found, this ID refers to a bad password.

Some history about the accounts.  They were both disabled for a couple days in Active Directory and then re-enabled.  Their passwords were not reset or changed.  After being disabled and re-enabled in AD, they could not log in successfully to Moodle.

We have a hosted solution, so I do not have a Moodle server set up locally.  I was not involved in the setup or configuration, but was told Moodle was LDAP'd.  Upon investigation it is configured for LDAP, but I'm trying to figure out how the LDAP is running.  When I look under Site Administration - Server - Scheduled Tasks, I see that the, "LDAP users sync job" is disabled and indicates 'Last run' of 'Never'.  I was hoping to manually run the LDAP sync to see if that would allow them to log in, but the scheduler does not appear to allow a 'run now' option.  How can I run a manual LDAP sync for Moodle?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Franz

Re: User Login Failing Reason ID 3

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Chances are ldap is requiring a password change that will stop them from logging in.  A sync will probably not fix that.

Can you reset their passwords through Moodle?

In response to your question, enable the ldap sync and then you will have an option to run it manually.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Franz -

Emma,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I will see if I can manually have them change their passwords in Moodle to match their AD password.

I did enable the scheduled LDAP task, but I still don't see an option to 'run now'.  I tried with the 'Minute' set to the default of 0, but it did not run when I saved the task and it shows a next run of Friday, May 5, 12:00 AM.  I also, tried putting in the */5 to run every five minutes to see if that would trigger anything, but it still shows the same next run date and time.

Thanks.

In reply to Rick Franz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Once it is enabled, go back to the Scheduled Tasks page.  There will be a Run Now link by the task listing.

by Rick Franz -

Emma,

I am still not seeing a 'run now' link.

Thanks for all of your help with this.

In reply to Rick Franz

by Emma Richardson -

Please screenshot instead of making us download and open word files which are notorious for being virus infected!  

That is strange - I wonder if it has to run first to get the link...I don't think so though...what version of Moodle?

by Rick Franz -

We are on Moodle version 3.1.11 (Build 20180319).

I left the schedule enabled for LDAP and it had a time of 12:00 am on May 4.  This morning the Last run still shows as 'Never', but now the Next run shows as 'Friday, May 4, 2018, 5:36 PM'.  Also, the Fail delay column, which had recently been 0, now shows a value of 30720.

Thanks.