Moodle 1.9 Quiz result shows Fail even though full marks

Moodle 1.9 Quiz result shows Fail even though full marks

by wj g -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I am currently using Moodle 1.9 (yes i know it's outdated) on a company intranet server (only a course creator role, therefore i have limited access rights)

Some background:

1. A global setting of passing grade 80% is applied

2. We required participants to achieve 100% to pass

3. We have a question bank called Critical Question Bank that participants have to answer the questions in it correctly in order to pass the quiz

4. To achieve point 2, we moved all 10 questions into that bank so that all questions have to be answered correctly for participants to pass the quiz.

5. This works perfectly fine if all questions in the quiz is multiple choice (one answer only)

6. When even one multiple choice (multiple answers allowed) is in the quiz (ie. 9 one answer MCQ, 1 multiple answers MCQ), it shows a Fail even though all questions are answered correctly.

Any help is appreciated, either within my access rights or to seek the IT departments help in tweaking some options.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to wj g

Re: Moodle 1.9 Quiz result shows Fail even though full marks

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

God! 1.9....

If you're using multi choice questions, have you set the questions to give partial credit for each correct?  When you have a multiple choice, the right answer is set to 100% but with multichoice, the total has to equal 100%, not the score for each correct.  So...if you have five answers and four are right, you give 25% for each correct choice--100% if they get all of them but not if they miss one or more.  If any of the 'correct' answers are not set to get credit, it will not work.   Only thing I can think of quiz-wise. 

Where are you setting the global passing grade?  I don't remember anything like that in 1.9...Are you setting a grade to pass for the quiz in the grade book?  If so, is the grade to pass the number of possible points or 100 (thinking %)?  If your quiz has 10 points and you set the grade to pass as 100, no one will ever get credit because it is not possible to get 100 points on a 10 point quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by wj g -

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

If you're using multi choice questions, have you set the questions to give partial credit for each correct?  Yes i have, 3 correct options out of 4 options is set at 33.3, 33.3, 33.3, -100. (-100 because we want participants to get the question wrong if the wrong option is chosen)

When you have a multiple choice, the right answer is set to 100% but with multichoice, the total has to equal 100%, not the score for each correct.  So...if you have five answers and four are right, you give 25% for each correct choice--100% if they get all of them but not if they miss one or more.  If any of the 'correct' answers are not set to get credit, it will not work.   Only thing I can think of quiz-wise.  

Where are you setting the global passing grade?  I don't remember anything like that in 1.9... Are you setting a grade to pass for the quiz in the grade book?  If so, is the grade to pass the number of possible points or 100 (thinking %)?  If your quiz has 10 points and you set the grade to pass as 100, no one will ever get credit because it is not possible to get 100 points on a 10 point quiz. I believe it was part of an add-on purchased by my company, and it applies to all quizzes in the server that is shared across all departments in the company. Only my department requires 100% passing grade but we are unable to change that global setting since it applies to the whole company and they are unwilling to do that.

In reply to wj g

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First issue:  I'm guessing you need to change the incorrect answer to None instead of -100.  None means you get no credit.  -100 means not only do you not get credit but you lose points.  So, if a user marks all three correct answers but also the incorrect, they get 0 points.  With it set to None, they will get credit for the correct answers.

Hmmm...maybe Totara?  You might check with whomever you bought the add on from...You should be able to set a grade to pass in the grade book but if there are global settings from a third party plugin, it may not matter...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)