Who wants to help me finish this OER publishing and distribution tool for Moodle?

Who wants to help me finish this OER publishing and distribution tool for Moodle?

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone wants to take a shot at figuring out how to make this work.  

The functionality we want is from Moodle you can add an External tool that automatically creates a new blog and then allows users from the course to access and publish to the Wordpress blog. We also want to be able to take that blog and use deep LTI linking to export the contents as a cartridge which can be used by Moodle to embed the pages from the blog in a course. The idea is to use the Wordpress PressBooks book authoring plugin with Moodle to produce OER content and distribution in one site.  

The issue is that I cannot find a LTI plugin that handles both functions: creation and distribution.  

On one hand the users need to be registered as authors/admins with wordpress during content creation.  During distribution, users need to be registered as subscribers when they are just viewing the blog during distribution.  I was hoping that based on the LTI credentials we could differentiate what wordpress role the user gets in wordpress.  I am not having much luck.

This works great for users to go from Moodle to Wordpress and auto-create a blog and add users of a course as authors on Wordpress.

However, once the book is created we want to use it to embed as OER content in other courses.  Meaning, you export the wordpress content as a LMS Cartridge For that functionality there is a set of 3 Wordpress plugins by Candela which also uses LTI - LTI, Candela-LTI, and Candela-thin-exports.  The issue is the two LTI plugins do not play nicely on the same Wordpress site.  

Tools used:

Anyone want to help build a open source OER creation and distribution tool with me?  

I just need help figuring out how to either get both LTI plugins working on the same site or combine the functionality of these two plugins into one.

This would be an all-in-one OER content authoring platform that works and plays well with Moodle for both creation and distribution.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Who wants to help me finish this OER publishing and distribution tool for Moodle?

by Chris Kenniburg -

Just an update on this: 

We ended up using the Pressbooks LTI Provider tool for sharing finished books and content.  https://github.com/pressbooks/pressbooks-lti-provider

This doesn't help with instantly creating books directly from your LMS but it does allow for sharing and controlling access to your content and it is tightly integrated with Pressbooks.  I really love how nice it all works.  You can export an entire book chapter by chapter as a IMS Cartridge or you can pick any individual chapter to add into your Moodle course.

Our initial idea is to have 2 pressbooks sites:  

• Authoring/Instructional Site for book creation as an instructional tool that would allow students to author pages from the LMS in a shared classroom book
  • Publishing/Distribution Site for distribution and publication of finished books.

In this regard we can control access to content via the new Pressbooks LTI provider tool and we can also maintain the ability for teachers to create books directly by simply adding an activity within Moodle.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Who wants to help me finish this OER publishing and distribution tool for Moodle?

by Walter Resendes -

Chris,

I have been viewing your posts and video and have used them to create my own Wordpress Multisite with Pressbooks plugin. I am now in the process of connecting the new Pressbooks site to Moodle with the LTI Provider tool. Before I go to far, and spend a lot of time down this road, I have a question.

I want to use a template Workbook that each user can have his own copy of. They can then edit there own Workbook and it becomes their own creation as they work their way through the book making edits and comments. Is this even possible? I think it is, but I guess I wanted the assurance that I am not wasting to much of my time.

Thanks, I know you have got to be super busy and don’t know me or owe me any advice, but I appreciate the knowledge you have shared up to this point and hope you can give me some insight into this.

In reply to Walter Resendes

by Chris Kenniburg -

Walter,

It doesn't work like that.  It is pretty much a read only kind of platform.  Best for writing and sharing open textbooks etc.  

Chris