General developer forum

Getting Started - Help

 
Picture of Anil Suri
Getting Started - Help
 

Hello,


I am doing research to find a good LMS solution for a project. I came across moodle and like it. Is there any design overview, technical White paper or any other document that gives me an overview of all the components and Data structures? This is to better understand the architecture and decide if this is something we can get into. I have looked through the following links but have not found any technical overview document for moodle.

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Main_Page

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Core_APIs


Also downloaded the sources and looked through...but unable to find a comprehensive document. May be it does not exist, hard to believe.


Thanks


Anil Suri

 
Average of ratings: -
Davo
Re: Getting Started - Help
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Moodle is a complex system with a huge number of data structures and components that have evolved steadily over many years and thanks to the work of a great many different people.

There is no comprehensive document covering all of these structures, although many of the individual components are covered in the developer docs (and certainly the more-recently developed parts are documented in a lot more detail than some of the older components).

What documentation there is exists is in a wiki format and there is always an open invitation for anyone who spots an area of weakness in the documentation to make improvements.


 
Average of ratings: -
Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Re: Getting Started - Help
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Hello,

I've been on university-wide LMS (or whatever name) evaluation groups since the early 2000s asking which is better?

The single stand-out lesson of these evaluation committees, for me, has been that the name of an activity/module/plugin, etc is different. Someone who speaks WebCT does not necessarily speak BlackBoard does not necessarily speak Moodle, Canvas, D2L, and so forth.

Before deciding that some item is missing or a fail, it's worth asking here in the Moodle forums whether a thing named "X" in WebCT or Blackboard/D2L/Canvas exists in Moodle and what its name might be.

Most of the time, you'll find Moodle has an equivalent in core. About 90% of the time, Moodle's equivalent is truly equivalent, if not better. The other 10%, you'll find that there's a non-core plug-in that does what you want to achieve.

The best way to enjoy Moodle is to post a question about something you want to do without restricting your question to what you know other LMSs can do. The forums are great for refining your wish through discussion and then offering solutions.

Happy Moodling!

 
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Getting Started - Help
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Probably not what you are looking for, and quite out of date now, but http://www.aosabook.org/en/moodle.html

 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Anil Suri
Re: Getting Started - Help
 

Thanks so much for pointing me here. This is what I was looking for. 

 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)