Creating a shuffled quiz with random question from multiple categories

Creating a shuffled quiz with random question from multiple categories

by Tomi Király -
Number of replies: 5

We have a large question bank with multiple categories and we need to make a quiz with 5 random questions pulled randomly from multiple question categories. I know you can pull a random question from a category, but you cannot pull 5 random questions from let's say 20 categories.

After reading the documentation, looking at plugins and googling around it seems like it cannot be achieved without duplicating the questions.

Is there an (easy) way to do this?

Thank you in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tomi Király

Re: Creating a shuffled quiz with random question from multiple categories

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Wait for 3.5!!  The Moodle User's Association is funding the ability to pull random quiz questions by tag.  

However, if you put the 20 categories all inside a top category, I believe you can pull questions from the subcategories.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tomi Király -

Thank you so much for your help Emma! We cannot wait for version 3.5 since we have a very short deadline, but the second one seems like working perfectly, this is exactly what we were looking for!

by Dominique BODIN -

Hello,

Thanks Emma for your tip on the question bank.

I was wondering about the tag in developement you were talking about.

Will it be possible to build a quiz with random questions according to these tags ?

I mean : I create a thematic category of questions but I would like to put some "weight" to each question, a kind of level of difficulty let's say. So I create some questions with the tag "level1", some others with the tag "level2", etc;

Then I will create a quiz with questions all pull from this very same category (same theme inside my  course), but  with the three first questions with the "level1" tag, the three next ones with the "level2" tag, and so on ?

Thanks for your insights,

D.B.

In reply to Dominique BODIN

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dominique BODIN -

Thanks for your answer. Wiil look forward for this new bank tool.

Best regards,

D.B.