Site admin unavailable in fresh 3.4.2 installation

Site admin unavailable in fresh 3.4.2 installation

by Hans Reitzema -
Number of replies: 8

Hello! I have just installed 3.4.2 and can not access the Site Administration area. Instead I get a blank page. Typing the requested URL directly does not work. I think the probleem lies in the /admin directory. I already checked the permissions of that folder: 755. That seems to be right I think. What can I do?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hans Reitzema

Re: Site admin unavailable in fresh 3.4.2 installation

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Begin by sharing some info about system ...

Where are you hosted? and how?  Does hosting have things like 'cPanel'  and certain URL's to it's admin area ... like https:/site:port/admin/   Is hosting cheapo?  Have the specs for hosting a 3.4?

How did you install?  manually via infamous one clicker?

Operating system and versions of PHP/MySQL ...

Actions you can take:

1. turn on debugging via lines found in config-dist.php placed in config.php ... come back here with any output debugging might show to you.

2. check web server error logs

3. check db server logs

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Hans Reitzema -

Thank you, Ken, for your response. I hoped for a quick and simple solution. Here is my system info:

I installed Moodle via Installatron in cPanel. And allthough I changed PHP to version 7 it keeps showing up here  as 5.6.34. That might be the problem. 

by Ken Task -

A couple of things ... I see 'shared IP' ... might be some limitations in Moodle on shared host even if hoster provides an installer.

cPanel: Appears that cPanel will allow changing of PHP version if user had EasyApache 4:

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/64Docs/PHP+FAQ#PHPFAQ-WhichPHPversionshowsintheenduser'scPanelinterface?

Consult with provider.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Blank pages often show up due to PHP incompatibility - are you on PHP 7.0 or higher?

Trying deleting the cache and localcache folders from your moodledata (not moodle code) folder.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ken Task -

Yep!  Emma is right ... +2.

Ya know, now that 3.4.x is requiring Zend OpCache extension, maybe something should be added to Moodle Docs/FAQ's and suggestions ... or added server code?

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/07/my-favorite-zend-opcache-status-scripts/

I think I prefer the 'Control Panel'.

Guess what's in there?

the moodledata/[caches] ... all of them cache, muc, and localcache

opcache scripts have buttons like 'Files' (so you can see what) and options for 'Recheck', 'Reset', and 'Refresh'.   For someone who detest the command line or other clunky $ 'control panels', one of those opcache scripts might fit the bill.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Hans Reitzema -

I am afraid that is at this moment beyond my comprehension, Ken. I will dive deeper into it later, reading back both your and Emma’s kind responses. I will now settle for a lower Moodle version and try to upgrade later because I have to get my courses up and running. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Hans Reitzema -

Hi Emma, thank you. The PHP version might be the problem.