"Site Administration" link gone?

"Site Administration" link gone?

by Rob Nielson -
Number of replies: 8

Ok, this is a bit weird and started happening yesterday:

The "site administration" link on the left side is gone. Doesn't matter if I'm on my phone or on my desktop, I cannot see the link. It's like my role has reverted to "student" or something. however I'm still able to edit and use other tools. After a while, the option showed up again, but now it has disappeared again. 

This is version 3.4.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Nielson

Re: "Site Administration" link gone?

by Rob Nielson -

Hmmm. After refreshing several times, it finally showed up again. This is totally weird. Totally unable to recreate the issue on demand. It is a hit and miss kind of thing.

In reply to Rob Nielson

by Rob Nielson -

It just happened again.. Logged in and "Site Administration" is gone. I used Chrome, IE, and also my phone's browser. It's just not there. 

In reply to Rob Nielson

by Floyd Saner -

Rob,

Thanks for providing a screenshot with your post. That always helps.  The first thing that comes to mind is that the page has not completed loading.  It's possible the Facebook plugin on your page is causing the problem.  Delete that plugin and see if your Administration block appears.

It's always possible to get to the admin page by appending /admin to your Moodle URL, e.g.  https://<your moodle url>/admin

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Rob Nielson -

Thanks for the link. I figured that part out. smile 

I've used chrome and IE and my phone's browser. They all have the same result - the link does not show. I've also tried on more than one computer. So it's not limited to just one computer or browser or plugin. The link is now showing this morning. But will appear/disappear randomly.

In reply to Rob Nielson

by Floyd Saner -

Rob,

I would still do more investigation on the page loading issue and the Facebook plugin. That plugin needs to connect to Facebook through a Facebook API and there may be some intermittent connection issues.

I see you are using Liquid Web as your host.  Is that a shared server account?  You might ask Liquid Web to do some analysis.

It looks like you are  using theme Boost. That should be OK.

Analyse your site loading times on https://tools.pingdom.com/

Maybe someone else will have other ideas, but the only time I've seen issues like this is when something keeps the page from loading everything.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Rob Nielson -
Next time the issue comes up again I'll disable the facebook plugin and see if that fixes it. If that's the case, I'll just drop that plugin. It's not needed.
In reply to Rob Nielson

by Rob Nielson -

Ok, just tried logging in - SITE ADMINISTRATION is missing. I deleted the facebook plugin. Still does not show up. So it's not the facebook plugin doing it.

I did the pingdom speed test. I got a C. 

In reply to Rob Nielson

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

No offense, but you're not sharing useful (technical info) that could help someone here in these forum help you.   So, suggest you turn on Debugging all the way to developer.   In this case, due to the sporadic nature/behavior, you might have to leave debugging on to see if Moodle reports anything.

The other thing to check is server logs ... apache should have an error log.   See anything in there on the data/times the disappearances occurred.

How long have you been hosted on LiquidWeb with that domain name?  Reason asked ... in 2014 LW stopped offering shared servers to customers.   Your server appears to be also serving out 2 other domains.   One of those domains appears to be involve music.   That might be a factor in what you are seeing.

Since none here have admin level access to your site (not asking for that access either), try this ... rather than logging on and expecting to see the site admin menu on front page ... yes, that's  the way it should work ... navigate to a course.   There should be a course admin menu there but also a link to Site Admin.

What happens if you try to get to the site admin area that route?

Also try direct again only use this URL

https://yourserver/moodle/admin/search.php

'spirit of sharing', Ken