Appearance Problems

Appearance Problems

by Melanie Mornard -
Number of replies: 2

I'm using the current version of Moodle.  I have two appearance problems.  First, I've put in a Word document and have said I want the document to appear automatically.  But no matter what setting I put in appearance the system requires the student to download the document to see it.  The students I have are even more computer illiterate than I am and I don't think they will be able to realize they have to click on another link to see the document.  How can I set the settings so the document will come up with just a click to the document link?

Second, I have a zipped Storyline Module that when you go through the whole process has the module on the far right of the screen and students have to scroll back and forth to see it.  I know that if you click the box to the right of the Module title it will click back to the center, but again I'd rather not have to have them go through several screens to see the module.  How do I change the settings to do this?

I know there was a great article on this in the forum, but I'll be darned if I can find it again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Mornard

Re: Appearance Problems

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Melanie,

Two questions in one... and each with it's own answer. To answer your first question: there are no tools in Moodle that will automatically display your MS Word document without leaving the browser. This is the reason why the file will be downloaded, so the user can pick the application to view it in (MS Word, Office 365, Libre or OpenOffice, or Mac Pages).

As for the SCORM package: you can set the SCORM activity up so it'll display in a pop-up of predefined height and width. You'd have to select New window in the SCORM activity settings page, in the section Appearance

This will allow you to also set up correct height and width, and various other relevant settings:

SCORM settings appearance section

You may hav eto experiment a bit before getting this right, but in the end, it'll look far better than before.

Good luck!

In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Appearance Problems

by C Behan -

Just to add to Joost's response ... If you want your users to be able to click and view the document rather than downloading a .doc file, consider putting the contents of your word file in to a Moodle Page or Book.