Meta course: How to hide yet make accessible

Meta course: How to hide yet make accessible

by Diane Villemure -
Number of replies: 2

Following from the (now closed) discussion, I am grateful to Nicholas Bovee who offered in 2015:

In the CSS, I simply used the "data-courseid" attribute to target the metacourses I wanted to make invisible on the front page. This is manageable if you only have a few specific courses you want to keep invisible.

For example: #frontpage-course-list .coursebox[data-courseid="116"] {display: none;}

To hide the metacourse not only on the frontpage but also on the category page, I added the following code to my theme's CSS (in this example, the metacourse number is 27):

.coursebox[data-courseid="27"] { display: none; } /* this hides the metacourse but still allows enrolment */

To hide the metacourse from the "My courses" area of the Navigation block:

.block_navigation .block_tree .tree_item[data-node-key="27"] { display: none; } /* this hides the metacourse from the "My courses" list in the Navigation block */

HOWEVER, if you want to display the course description on the enrol page (in my case, paypal/enrol.html, you need to hack the core file with:

<?php if($course->id == "27") { ?>

<style type="text/css">
.coursebox[data-courseid="27"] { display: block; }
</style>

<?php } ?>

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diane Villemure

Re: Meta course: How to hide yet make accessible

by Diane Villemure -

To avoid having to hack an enrolment file to see the course description, I recommend to replace:

.coursebox[data-courseid="27"] { display: none; } /* this hides the metacourse but still allows enrolment */

with:

#frontpage-course-list .coursebox[data-courseid="27"] { display: none; }
#page-course-index-category .coursebox[data-courseid="27"] { display: none; }

NB: "27" in this example is the metacourse number I want to hide.

Also, to eliminate the confusion of not having the same number of courses displayed than the category total, I added:

.numberofcourse { display:none; }

to my theme's CSS.

In reply to Diane Villemure

Re: Meta course: How to hide yet make accessible

by Diane Villemure -

One little addition, if "Combo List" is selected for how the items will be displayed on the site's front page, you need to add this line in your theme's css:

#frontpage-category-combo .coursebox[data-courseid="27"] { display: none; }