Duplicating Moodle Sites.

Duplicating Moodle Sites.

by MoodleKittyCat . -
Number of replies: 7

Is it possible to completely duplicate Moodle sites as is with the same theme,  etc if need be easily and quickly? What's the process in steps? We may need to duplicate our Moodle Site about 10 times. Would it be possible? Any risks?

Thanks

Moodle 3.4

Average of ratings: -
In reply to MoodleKittyCat .

Re: Duplicating Moodle Sites.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Give us a bit of information about your proposed setup? There may be a better way.

In reply to Howard Miller

by MoodleKittyCat . -

It's just a Moodle 3.4 site with customised Lambda theme on it. We are looking to duplicate it on demand as and when needed. So, looking for a quick, couple of clicks easy way to do this. We don't need to duplicate users or anything..only the site with content and theme.

Thanks

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If I were a $ consultant on this 'project' (which am not, so this is 'food for thought' ... and worth nothing) ... I'd want to know more about 'content' .... easily said/typed ... just one word ... but ... I'd want some details.

And some info on ... once distributed/migrated or whatever, will those 10 or so sites ... is that where it ends?  or do you plan on 'as is ... no support thereafter' ... etc.

Are these other sites with different FQDN's?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

If you know what you are doing, this shouldn't be too hard.  In a somewhat normal Linux, MySQL, php environment, I would first install the initial 10 Moodle's as fresh installs.  These installs should all have the some plugins.  Verify that all 10 are working.

Then, I would backup the original database and moodledata folders, and then restore these backups into the 10 other installations.  You would need to know how to install the backups to the correct moodledata folder and the correct MySQL database.  Given exact same server configurations, you would then have 10 identical Moodles until someone did something new on the original.

In theory, you could use rsync to keep all 10 sites synchronized.  Upgrading moodle could be a little tricky because you would have to leave each Moodle's config.php file untouched.  With time, you might be able to write your own script files to do much of the work.

Well, this is the general approach.  Try #1 first and see if you have success.  With success, by the time you do your 10th try you will probably have the hang of it.

(Others here might add or subtract to what I have said, especially if I mis-understood your need.)

On a good day, I can create a new copy of my production moodle in less than 30 minutes or so, and I am still a novice network/moodle administrator.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
As others have pointed out. duplicating a site is not a problem. Maintaining the copies thereafter will be the problem. Don't forget, personal data of the users get duplicated too!