Is there anything like this?

Is there anything like this?

by Digital Revisor -
Number of replies: 4

Hi.

For our Moodle website we want something unusual and we are wondering if there might be something like this already in existance or something we would have to go about creating ourselves.

So our costumers are going to take our courses to gain "course hours" in their fields. There are two fields and some courses will only give them hours in one of them and others will give them hours in both. Taking a course might for example give them one course hour in one field. We then want there to a be a place (most preferably their profile page) where they can see their completed courses and how many hours they have in each field (in the form of a table or something similar).

We would also like them to be able to manually add hours into their table here in case they've completed courses elsewhere.

I'm aware this might not exist publicy in Moodle right now but if there is something close to this or something that could be used for this purpose I would appreciate it if anyone would tips us.

We are using Moodle 3.4.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Digital Revisor

Re: Is there anything like this?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Firstly, it would be really good if you could use your real name then we know who we are talking to wink

I've read this a couple of times and am struggling to see what you are looking for. Are you wanting something to time the amount of hours they spend in a course? That's fraught with difficulty. You'd have to start by defining what exactly you mean by that.

In any case, I can't think I've seen anything remotely like this. I can see this as a custom development. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Digital Revisor -

Hi.

I can see how this would be confusing so I'll try to explain some more.

When the user completes a course they will have completed a certain number of "course hours". These hours are not neccecarily the hours they spend on the course but the hours this course is designed for. Even if they spend 4 hours in a course designed for 2 hours they will only gain those 2 hours. I've used Moodle to make a minimum amount of time the user have to stay on the course before they can proceed and complete it.

So when they complete the course Moodle will know how many hours of each field this course is designed for. Moodle should then add these hours to a table or something similar that can be found at the user's profile page. The user should also be able to add hours into any fields on this table manually if they've completed relevant courses elsewhere.

Thanks you so far.

Roger.

by ben reynolds -

Here's an idea. It requires someone who knows more about the gradebook than me, especially if you are using the gradebook to record scores on quizzes and such.

When a course is completed, the final grade is the number of hours credited, for example, 2 = 2 hours credit

Setting the final grade is where you need a gradebook expert.

Each course grade shows up on the user's gradebook overview. Click grades in navbar > overview 

This is not a table in the sense that it will not add the hours to a total, but it shows them in sequence.

For users needing to add their own hours, perhaps a course in which the activities are to input a number beside a textbox describing what the hours are for? And then totalling the numbers of all the activities makes the final grade.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I saw this as related to course completion - see Course_completion.

Course hours are the sum of completed x learning hours. There's no mechanism to report this but there is a site-wide (optional) completion report plugin and I can't imagine it would be too hard to adapt if you can find some dev effort. I'm not sure how you would store the learning hours for each course - it might take an extra table and a simple interface.