what's the best charachter set for arabic language when create database links betwwen oracle and mysql

what's the best charachter set for arabic language when create database links betwwen oracle and mysql

by Osama alhadidi -
Number of replies: 5

database link between oracle 10g with moodle mysql

im created database link between oracle 10g and moodle mysql its worked but i have a problem its:

when i select or desc any table data, the arabic character not appears correctly ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Osama alhadidi

Re: what's the best charachter set for arabic language when create database links betwwen oracle and mysql

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle uses utf8mb4 (or just utf8) so one of those. utf8 can handle arabic characters.

I doubt this is a Moodle issue but it might help to explain what you are doing in a bit more detail.

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: what's the best charachter set for arabic language when create database links betwwen oracle and mysql

by Osama alhadidi -

thanks a lot for you replay

im create database link between oracle 10g and moodle mysql database by odbc provider for windows

when i select name or any Arabic test column no correct Arabic shows

below the  oracle screen  when i select any Arabic characters

Attachment characterset.jpg

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know - you said. But why are you doing that? 

I don't read Arabic (or Oracle) but it looks rather like a character set mismatch of some sort. Doesn't Oracle have a reputation for being a bit buggy when it comes to non-latin character sets?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Osama alhadidi -

oracle 10g character set  set (AL32UTF8)

moodle 2.7 MySQL character set (UTF8)

i'm set all possible character set on oracle but not working 

by bell mars -

Salam Osama alhadidi how are you bro ? 

did you solve your problem , am going through almost same problem ,

i tried to edit the character set values in mysql ini file but no use :

//character-set-server = utf8mb4

character-set-server = utf8

//collation-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ci

collation-server = utf8_general_ci

and edited moodle config file : 

//'dbcollation' => 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci',

'dbcollation' => 'utf8_general_ci',

edited the characters sets in  table properties using WorkBench and no use , 

i even changed the the sets in my Oracle table (CONVERT (fullname,'UTF8', 'AR8MSWIN1256')), i tried also about 20 sets and no use! 3al fadi!

i have moodle 3.4.2 , oracle db server 11g , mysql 5.5 , php 7.0.29

any ideas people!