Display format manager

Display format manager

by Williams Castillo -
Number of replies: 5
Hello dear moodlers,

I think the latest code of the glossary needs some explaining...

First at all... There's a new display format, conceived by Tom Murdock: Entry list. Basically, it just list the concepts with no definition.

Because of this display format, and because automatic links were shown using the display format of its glossary, those entries had to be shown in a different display format in order to see its definition (I hope I made this clear enough.. sad )

Well... Now there's a so-called "display format manager".. What it does is just define some of the behaviors that a display format must have... So far, those behavior includes:
  • Related display format: It solve the issue of having the glossary in one display format and its automatically linked entries in other.
  • The default mode, selection, sorting key and sorting order of the glossary when a user enters on it. I found that, for example, some FAQs were much more useful when are viewed in the following way: Browsed By Date, Sorted by Creation Date, ascending. AND without including group breaks.
  • Include (or not) group breaks. Some display formats needs to shows the entries without group breaks: FAQs, continuous, for instances.
  • If a display format is visible or not. It simple specify if a display format can be selected when editing a glossary.. It does not prevent to select it as a related view format (see above)... In fact, it is there right for that functionality... Someone might create a special display format to be used only as a related view of other display format but do not want it to be used as a main display format for any other glossary.
This display format manager can be accesed from the admin module screen, glossary settings.

Thus... The latest code made use of a new function that will solve the problem of the full names (althought it is still a temporary one) so you will need to have a latest code of moodle as well.. Those using a modified version of the Moodle 1.1.1 will need to made the necessary changes to the moodlelib.php (addd that function).

That's all for now.

Will
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Williams Castillo

Re: Display format manager

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This thing is becoming a Moodle within Moodle!  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Williams Castillo -
thingbig grinapproveshy

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry - nothing negative intended! wide eyes Quite the opposite, in fact! approve

I probably said 'thing' because I'm having trouble keeping up with all the new features!
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Williams Castillo -
I knew, my friend... I was just kidding... smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's best to be careful with you hot-blooded Spanish speakers - I don't want to wake up with a big "W" carved into my chest. big grin big grin tongueout wink