Grading entries

Grading entries

by Williams Castillo -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

I would like to know what could be the "best" way to grade entries.

I think the options are:
  •  Every entry has a fixed value, total grade = sum(grade for each entry)
  • The glossary has a max grade, the entries are given a percentual grade based on the total entries submitted by each student
  • The glossary ask the student to submit X number of entries, the glossary has a max grade. Calculate the total grade based on this two values.
  • Idem the the previous but every entry has a max grade so the total is weigthed based on the very weigth, the total number of entries needed by the glossary and the total submitted by the student (I think this is the best)
  • Just a grade for each student's participation in the glossary.
  • Anything else?
The one who say something like "I want to have'em all" will suffer the consecuences... smile

Will
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Williams Castillo

Re: Grading entries

by Williams Castillo -
Should this feature allows co-evaluation and self-evaluation as well? Or it is just nonesense.
In reply to Williams Castillo

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I want'em all! winkevilbig grintongueout

Seriously, though - how about the same system as in the forums:
  • only teachers can grade entries / everyone can grade entries
  • select one of the course grading scales
  • Restrict grading to entries posted within dates in this range
The gradebook view of forum grades is also very useful - the teacher gets all the info s/he might need: the average grade, the numbers of the different grades, and the total number of posts/entries graded.

Edit:
The additional advantage of using the same grading system as in the forums would be consistency - once the teacher has got used to grading the forums, he will not have to figure out how grading in the glossary works.
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
thoughtful I know I'm replying to myself, but it's well after midnight here, so I feel at east partly excused wink

Anyway, maybe introduce just one variation from the forum grading scheme - introduce new settings:
  • the final grade is the average of grades for individual entries
  • OR the final grade is the total of grades for individual entries
In the second case, there might be an optional maximum. Once a student's total grade has reached that value, it will not be increased any more, even if s/he adds more entries.

What do others think?

Cheers, Will!

PS
Actually, the same setting in the forums could be of some use for some people as well big grin
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Williams Castillo -
...so you not only want'em all... you want even more!!!

And thus... you are fearless guy! smile

I've checked the forum's way to grade its posts... It's easy... However, I think this is something that should be thinked twice... Doing almost a copy & paste should work on the glossary... But I think that it is also true that other modules could grade its outcomes this way too.

And having the scales now as a course-level resource, I think the grading system should also be a course-level resource... Standard functions, etc...

Martin, do you have something of this in mind? I'm not talking about a time frame.. just if it worths to made the copy&paste.

Will