Using Moodle as collaborative worknig place in corporate environment

Using Moodle as collaborative worknig place in corporate environment

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hello

I'm a long time Moodle user and just thinking about setting up Moodle as a more collaborative and communicative environment for companies.  I would like to share ideas and concepts here.

Coporates think a lot about 'new work' concepts. That means often that employees share insights, questions, ideas and experiences in an open environment.  How can we use Moodle as such a platform?

Here are some of my ideas:

• Interests. People add interests in their personal profiles. Interests are linked that we get a  list of people with same interests. So we can contact them. May be we should enable sneding multiple messages as authenticated user.
  • Blogs and tags. Personal blogs can be published site wide. We can add a tag cloud block on dashboard page. Users can comment on blog entries
  • Community course  with one activity format and a forum in blog format as singel activity. The forum should use tags and a tag cloud also. 
  • Experience glossary
  • Wiki ???

What do you think are other options?

Some questions:

• How can we build something similar like a timeline with requests and posts. RSS feeds are not the best option.
  • How can we put the individual blogs more in foreground?
  • How can user build individual groups within Moodle easily?

Ralf

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Using Moodle as collaborative worknig place in corporate environment

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Great ideas Ralf, but.. if I might offer some suggestions, 

I find the Moodle Wiki to be erm.... problematic, shall we say. As you are setting up a server, with PHP and a database compatible with Moodle, then why not add in MediaWiki. Integration between the two is not difficult, an LTI perhaps. The one thing you will need is a Single Sign On, and I am sure there are several around that you will be more aware of than I would be. 

Another thing you may want to consider is, instead of using Moodle why not a Mahoodle? There is a great deal of information about how to achieve this and that has some features you are interested in that Moodle requires a workaround on, as Moodle has some feature Mahara doesn't.  The documentation is found on this link. That should offer some ideas, if nothing else. 

I don't know if Users can build individual groups, given the main thrust of Moodle has always been directed at learning communities rather than individual learners, but I would think that there would be a way through Permissions and Capabilities, perhaps? 

Good luck Ralf, sounds like an interesting set of ideas and problems ahead of you.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Colin

I've the same concerns like you with Moodle wiki. That's why I added the ???
I know Mahoodle and like a lot of the Mahara features. But I think its not neatly integrated as I wanted to see it  in Moodle. There is  a Mahara distro that puts a communication stream in the middle of Mahara that makes more sense for me.

We created a course wizard https://moodle.org/plugins/block_eledia_coursewizard  that allows each user to create a new course with himself as teacher and add users by adding the mail addresses in a text area. Forcreating a course the user can seletct template courses that make most sense for the plans. Typically this is a feature for teachers, but its a configuration to give the permission to each user.

Ralf

by Colin Fraser -

That is a really great idea Ralf, I didn't know about this plugin, which might help a number of other people with questions about this very thing. It does come up occasionally. Plus, it might give students a chance to demonstrate their learning by affording an opportunity for Peer Instruction within the Moodle. What an excellent plugin. See, I get all my good ideas from other people!!! big grin 

EDIT: I just went and had a look at it, and it looks like it is not really being maintained. I hope someone else will pick it up and run with it. But it should work for a while yet. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Colin

the course wizard is maintained for our clients and  we use it actually for all versions up to 3.4.

Ralf

by Colin Fraser -

Is it going to be going onto the Downloads/Plugins for public release, Ralf? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Hi Colin

It depends on the time we have to maintain it in the database. Not yet decided.

Ralf