I'm a long time Moodle user and just thinking about setting up Moodle as a more collaborative and communicative environment for companies. I would like to share ideas and concepts here.
Coporates think a lot about 'new work' concepts. That means often that employees share insights, questions, ideas and experiences in an open environment. How can we use Moodle as such a platform?
Here are some of my ideas:
- Interests. People add interests in their personal profiles. Interests are linked that we get a list of people with same interests. So we can contact them. May be we should enable sneding multiple messages as authenticated user.
- Blogs and tags. Personal blogs can be published site wide. We can add a tag cloud block on dashboard page. Users can comment on blog entries
- Community course with one activity format and a forum in blog format as singel activity. The forum should use tags and a tag cloud also.
- Experience glossary
- Wiki ???
What do you think are other options?
- How can we build something similar like a timeline with requests and posts. RSS feeds are not the best option.
- How can we put the individual blogs more in foreground?
- How can user build individual groups within Moodle easily?
Great ideas Ralf, but.. if I might offer some suggestions,
I find the Moodle Wiki to be erm.... problematic, shall we say. As you are setting up a server, with PHP and a database compatible with Moodle, then why not add in MediaWiki. Integration between the two is not difficult, an LTI perhaps. The one thing you will need is a Single Sign On, and I am sure there are several around that you will be more aware of than I would be.
Another thing you may want to consider is, instead of using Moodle why not a Mahoodle? There is a great deal of information about how to achieve this and that has some features you are interested in that Moodle requires a workaround on, as Moodle has some feature Mahara doesn't. The documentation is found on this link. That should offer some ideas, if nothing else.
I don't know if Users can build individual groups, given the main thrust of Moodle has always been directed at learning communities rather than individual learners, but I would think that there would be a way through Permissions and Capabilities, perhaps?
Good luck Ralf, sounds like an interesting set of ideas and problems ahead of you.
I've the same concerns like you with Moodle wiki. That's why I added the ???
I know Mahoodle and like a lot of the Mahara features. But I think its not neatly integrated as I wanted to see it in Moodle. There is a Mahara distro that puts a communication stream in the middle of Mahara that makes more sense for me.
We created a course wizard https://moodle.org/plugins/block_eledia_coursewizard that allows each user to create a new course with himself as teacher and add users by adding the mail addresses in a text area. Forcreating a course the user can seletct template courses that make most sense for the plans. Typically this is a feature for teachers, but its a configuration to give the permission to each user.
That is a really great idea Ralf, I didn't know about this plugin, which might help a number of other people with questions about this very thing. It does come up occasionally. Plus, it might give students a chance to demonstrate their learning by affording an opportunity for Peer Instruction within the Moodle. What an excellent plugin. See, I get all my good ideas from other people!!!
EDIT: I just went and had a look at it, and it looks like it is not really being maintained. I hope someone else will pick it up and run with it. But it should work for a while yet.