Teaching with Moodle

embedded "mouse over" glossary definitions

Picture of Erik Rosen
embedded "mouse over" glossary definitions

Is anyone familiar with a module or integrated functionality to add glossary definitions to certain terms within the lessons? I am thinking of a small pop-up that shows up when you hover over a word. Thanks for any suggestions!

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: embedded "mouse over" glossary definitions
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Do you mean like glossary autolinking? Add words to a glossary, enable the glossary auto-linking feature and then when you hover over the word it will be linked to its definition. See the later part of this video

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Erik Rosen

Yes, and thank you!

Picture of Edgar Salgado García

Hi, Mary.  I am using Moodle Cloud, and I have set up the autolink feature in a Glossary, but it doesn't work.  I have tried looking at a way to enable autolinks (filters) in the site administration, and everything seems to be OK, but when I go to the course, it still doesn't work.  I have done this procedure in other Moodle sites and have never come up with any issues whatsoever.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or am I missing something?

P.D. When I go to "filters" under the cog menu in the course, I see the option "link activity names", but not "link glossary entries" as it shows in the video that you suggested.  I think there might be something that I need to check at the site-level.

Thank you very much for your help,

Edgar

Picture of Joost Elshoff
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Hi Edgar,

Have you checked whether the filter Glossary auto-linking is enabled? If you have site admin rights, go to Site administration > Plugins > Filters > Manage filters and look for the 'Glossary auto-linking'

My bet is, that the filter you're looking for is set to Off. Toggling the settings immediately makes the filter available, so no Saving settings is necessary.

You may want to refresh the course page you're working on, to see the results.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Edgar Salgado García

Hi, Joost, nice to see you around!  Thank you very much.  I just did what you suggested, and now it is working.