"Qualitative" reports

"Qualitative" reports

by Javier Tejera -
Number of replies: 8

Dear community,

I am connecting teachers with students (1:1) in an English course. They are using both Moodle for activities and resources, and Skype for speaking/conversation.

I would like that every teacher can write a brief report after every Skype's session - basically reporting what topics they covered and any other relevant information about the session.

It is important to mention that it would be great if is possible to do through the Moodle mobile app as well.

Any simple idea?

Regards,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Javier Tejera

Re: "Qualitative" reports

by Javier Tejera -

I have two choices so far:

1) Add notes

2) If teachers can answer a feedback activity (can they?), insert it including a text answer.

Any other idea much appreciated!

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

AFAIK, Teachers can't access and create activities within courses they are Teachers of. What I would suggest is an editable PDF they can access and email to whomever is supposed to get the feedback. As far as adding notes, a Book for each student that is hidden from students, accessible only by the Teacher. A new chapter every session would be how I might do it. 

Skype is very good, but from inside Moodle, would Big Blue Button be more useful? Just a thought. 

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Have you tried 3) giving teachers the student role?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

mm In another course or just changing the permissions and capabilities of teachers in their own course? Could be a fairly substantial job unless it was done site wide, Might be achievable at Category level, if there was only one or two Categories involved, still, an interesting problem with a potentially interesting result. As long as it wasn't too interesting, of course. wide eyes 

In reply to Colin Fraser

I meant specific to the course. The leading Teacher of the course can assign all the Teachers who are supposed to take part in that specific course as Students the Student role.

Sounds kind of logical, not tested though. But easy to verify.

by Javier Tejera -
Hi, thanks for your help!

Teachers actually need to have the teacher role, so I prefer another solution.

So far, I think the best option is to create just a page activity restricted for students, so teachers can edit it and students don't have access to it. From a student perspective, it's not the best option, but from a teacher perspective who doesn't know much about Moodle I think it is fine.

What do you think?

I was not clear: These teachers need the Student role _in addition_ to their Teacher role (in that particular course). See the attachment.

Reminder: Moodle does not differentiate between teachers and students at a site level. All are users. Inside a course, they get a _role_ to play, the most common ones are Teacher and Student.
Attachment teacher_student.png

by Javier Tejera -

Great, I didn't know this!

So if teachers have the two roles roles they can both check the activities results of the students plus complete themselves the activities (like a quiz, for instance)? Fantastic news!