How to Evaluate the maturity of a course

How to Evaluate the maturity of a course

by Robin Wilkinson -
Number of replies: 5

Good Afternoon, 

I work in the Ministry of Defence (MOD) UK and am trying to develop a maturity model.  I would be grateful if you could signpost me to anything useful of provide comment on the attached document.  

Thanks in advance. 

Rob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robin Wilkinson

Re: How to Evaluate the maturity of a course

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

There is a problem, the doc is a Word docx, please upload a PDF or text file. You are more likely to get more takers. I for one would like to consider the question but not if I have to download a Word doc. Sorry, it is what it is. 

by Robin Wilkinson -

by Colin Fraser -

Ahhh thanks for that. Firstly, Robin, I have to say this is a document that you have obviously given considerable thought to and tried to make it as comprehensive as you can. It is thought provoking at one level and challenging at another, as in, can I make a course that fills all the criteria in Level 5?  As a rubric for assessing the administration of courses and management of learning, yes, it is a highly structured, well defined and clear set of guidelines.  

To me, I am reading this as though your VLE, Moodle(?) is used as both a training tool and an Information Kiosk. In an organisation like yours, this is a perfectly valid use of Moodle. It does mean, though, that in some instances, Moodle's internal security functionality may be a little strong for your need, but in others it may be exactly what is needed. 

There is clear division between what you perceive to be differing levels of structures, usefulness, features and so on. 

If I was to suggest a fault, I would consider that this rubric may be taken as a straightjacket approach by a lot of convergent thinkers. While I might regard this as a challenge, others might see it as an impossible set of goals that they couldn't possibly achieve so you may need to be careful on how you sell this to the people who are using it, but then I would expect you would already understand this. I would also ask if this is a "Learning" Maturity Model or a "Training" Maturity Model? Either way, it is a terrific piece of work. big grin  

EDIT: What is "Exceptional - Wide use of a verity of assessment formats..."  Spelling and word usage errors will wreck the credibility of any work, so be careful...smile 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Robin Wilkinson -

Colin, 

Thanks for the feedback, you hit on a large number of points which I find challenging. 

Education Vs Training !  I have just come back from the Moodlemoot (Glasgow) which inspired me to put this up. 

The RN is both an educated and a provider and the big challenge is how to state where we are to where we need to go smile  I agree with your comment that:

Moodle's internal security functionality may be a little strong for your need, but in others it may be exactly what is needed. 

I could not agree more as we have to use core and are only allowed 12 plugins for the whole of the system which has 600K users !!  Innovation in ways of working is the name of the game.

If I was to suggest a fault, I would consider that this rubric may be taken as a straightjacket approach by a lot of convergent thinkers. 

I could not agree more the key issue we have is extrinsic users not intrinsic users which makes the key cultural change which you allude to very hard.  I am working on planning a Royal Navy Moodle Moot to try and over come this !

EDIT: What is "Exceptional - Wide use of a verity of assessment formats..."  Spelling and word usage errors will wreck the credibility of any work, so be careful...smile 

Doh yes sad. lol. #gotamatereadingitnow

My next step is to aline VLE MOOCs to support the developers as they clime up the levels and use the MOOCs as CPD as well. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob

by Colin Fraser -

Thinking about the possibilities a bit more, you might want to have a look at this post by Chris Kenniburg. Read it carefully as he is discussing some ideas in different parts that might influence how you can achieve a good outcome here.  Also, his boss, Troy Patterson, has some interesting things to say on some management issues. Not suggesting you adopt them, but they could help inform any discussion you and your colleagues may have on a longer term strategy for your Moodle. Good luck.