SCORM 3.3 and screen readers...

SCORM 3.3 and screen readers...

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, I'm testing a SCORM with a screen reader, which is a horrible thing.  Here are some things I'm seeing.  If I have the scorm open in the current window (which is preferred by my agency), the screen reader seems to have trouble reading the content--It wants to read everything but the package slides.  We're currently using Boost and I'm starting to hate the collapsible thing on the left that is supposed to replace blocks.  Even when minimized it wants to read all of it.

So my real question...What are the best SCORM settings to use to get screen readers to read scorm content?  I know there is a lot of stuff I need to do inside my module (Captivate does NOT make it easy) but the settings and theme seem just as important.  Anyone else trying to make scorm accessibility compliant modules? What do you do?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: SCORM 3.3 and screen readers...

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If your goal is to develop content that is accessible your first mistake is probably trying to do this in SCORM. You would likely get a much better result using a different tool - like the lesson activity in Moodle. 

SCORM is heavily geared towards javascript, the authoring tools are heavily geared towards "visual display" - you have a lot more control over the accessibility of your content in the lesson module - and it's often much faster to develop the content in Lesson that it is in something like articulate.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thanks, Dan.  I know Lesson is more likely to not cause those sorts of problems...and how to build in it, etc.

Sigh.  But if the push is to do it in Captivate...are there particular settings that work best?

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

I would say you would definitely want to open the scorm package in it's own window then atleast, but I don't have direct experience with this myself.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Stella Cardozo -

Is it NOT possible to make SCORM ACCESSIBILITY FRIENDLY?

Today it is imperative to follow the standards of Universal Design for Learning (UDL).

In reply to Stella Cardozo

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The latest versions of Articulate/Captivate do this better than they used to, but SCORM is still SCORM.

As mentioned, it would be better to use the built in content authoring tools within Moodle (like Lesson/Quiz etc.) - but another good alternative is H5P