Scorm files - HTML5 & Flash outputs

Scorm files - HTML5 & Flash outputs

by altan ahmet -
Number of replies: 8

Hi 

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I'm being told by the software suppliers of my scorm files, that in order to bypass flash output in my scorm files, I should edit the imsmanifest.xml file to point directly to "index_lms_html5.html" instead of "index_lms.html"

Would anyone know how to do this please ? 

I've attached an example xml file where it refer to both idexes, perhaps someone would know where the change needs to be made and the code that needs to beinserted ( if any ? ) ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to altan ahmet

Re: Scorm files - HTML5 & Flash outputs

by Floyd Saner -

I would be very wary about directly editing the manifest.xml file. It is very easy to introduce errors.  If the SCORM package was published correctly (e.g. for both Flash and html 5), then there should be an index_lms.html file in the package that selects Flash or html 5 based on the browser capability.  

Your manifext.xml file already references index_lms.html in the resource section (bold is my emphasis):

<resource identifier="__6QJLTuCcz8u_course_id_RES" type="webcontent" href="index_lms.html" adlcp:scormtype="sco">

It is the index_lms.html file that determines whether Flash or html 5 is launched first.  Most content creation programs let you select html 5 with Flash fallback. That means html 5 will be launched unless the browser does not support html5. Then it launches Flash.

There is a line in the index_lms.html file that specifies the order of html 5 and Flash:

var settings = {

runtimeOrder: [{"type":"html5","url":"index_lms_html5.html"},{"type":"flash","url":"index_lms_flash.html"}]

};

If the runtimeOrder parameters are switched (i.e. {"type":"flash", ...} occurs first, then flash will be launched first.  In that case I suggest ensuring the the parameters are as shown above (html 5 type is first).

But, be aware that directly editing any of these files may result in breaking the code and the way in which the SCORM package plays. I take no responsibility for what might happen if you follow my suggestions - they are not foolproof and may cause errors.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by Floyd Saner -

One further comment...

It is likely your developer wanted you to change the manifest line

<resource identifier="__6QJLTuCcz8u_course_id_RES" type="webcontent" href="index_lms.html" adlcp:scormtype="sco"> 

to

<resource identifier="__6QJLTuCcz8u_course_id_RES" type="webcontent" href="index_lms_html5.html" adlcp:scormtype="sco">

That would directly launch the index_lms_html5.html file, but then it bypasses the index_lms.html file that does all the browser capability checking and error messaging.  You really want index_lms.html to run and handle the correct launching.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by altan ahmet -

Hi floyd

I was told that sometimes the Scorm file doesn’t open when there are problems with flash, so to avoid this issue and planning ahead to when flash is no longer supported it’s been suggested that these storms default to HTML5 when launching.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by altan ahmet -

Hi 

I can see this line in the index_lms.html file  :

var strLocation = location.href.replace("index_lms", "index_lms_html5");

location.replace(strLocation);

cant see anything  that says runtime order ?

In reply to altan ahmet

by Floyd Saner -

Well, the differences might be in the authoring program that was used and in the variable names.  

The lines of code you showed, are JavaScript that replace "index_lms" with "index_lms_html5". So depending on where that is placed, and when it is executed, it might be forcing everything to html5.

Send your entire index_lms.html file and I'll take a look at it.

In reply to Floyd Saner

by altan ahmet -

Hi Floyd

I've attached as a txt file, hope thats ok ?

I have no idea about this coding stuff, so thanks for taking the time to look at this 

In reply to altan ahmet

by Floyd Saner -

Thanks, Altan.  The txt file was Ok.

What that code is doing is loading forcing html5 if it detects the module is running on iOS or Android mobile devices.

One question to ask is whether the SCORM modules run in browsers that do not support Flash - say a recent version of Chrome. If they do run in Chrome with Flash disabled, then you should be OK.  All is working well and you do not need to change anything.

In order to do a complete analysis I would need access to all the files.  If you want to, you may send me one of the SCORM modules in a zip file - send it to me personally in Moodle Messaging.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by altan ahmet -

Thanks Floyd, very much appreciated.

I think I have to do it by email, as I dont think you can send attachments here on a message can you ? 

By the way , I'm running this version of chrome :

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Does that suggest the file defaults to HTML5 and so I dont need to change anything in the manifest file  ?