Errors after upgrading Moodle

Errors after upgrading Moodle

by Matt Dixon -
Number of replies: 20

After upgrading from in incremental steps from one version to the next up from 2.7 to 3.4, the website looks completely different and I'm getting errors on the page. Did I miss some steps or is there cleanup that needs to be done?

Warning: include(/home/career57/devtesting.careers.alexanderschmidt.com/admin/tool/qeupgradehelper/version.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/career57/devtesting.careers.alexanderschmidt.com/lib/classes/plugin_manager.php on line 305

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/career57/devtesting.careers.alexanderschmidt.com/admin/tool/qeupgradehelper/version.php' for inclusion (include_path='/home/career57/devtesting.careers.alexanderschmidt.com/lib/pear:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/career57/devtesting.careers.alexanderschmidt.com/lib/classes/plugin_manager.php on line 305

Plugin tool_qeupgradehelper does not declare valid $plugin->component in its version.php.
  • line 315 of /lib/classes/plugin_manager.php: call to debugging()
  • line 335 of /lib/classes/plugin_manager.php: call to core_plugin_manager->load_present_plugins()
  • line 217 of /lib/classes/plugininfo/base.php: call to core_plugin_manager->get_present_plugins()
  • line 143 of /lib/classes/plugininfo/base.php: call to core\plugininfo\base->load_disk_version()
  • line 97 of /lib/classes/plugininfo/base.php: call to core\plugininfo\base::make_plugin_instance()
  • line 395 of /lib/classes/plugin_manager.php: call to core\plugininfo\base::get_plugins()
  • line 43 of /admin/settings/plugins.php: call to core_plugin_manager->get_plugins_of_type()
  • line 7999 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to require()
  • line 7884 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to admin_get_root()
  • line 21 of /admin/search.php: call to admin_externalpage_setup()
This page should be using theme als which cannot be initialised. Nor can the site theme als. Falling back to boost
  • line 519 of /lib/outputlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 1596 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to theme_config::load()
  • line 1859 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to moodle_page->initialise_theme_and_output()
  • line 7955 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->__call()
  • line 7955 of /lib/adminlib.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->single_button()
  • line 21 of /admin/search.php: call to admin_externalpage_setup()

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Dixon

Re: Errors after upgrading Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You have an empty directory (I'm guessing) - admin/tool/qeupgradehelper

Delete it (just the qeupgradehelper bit). 

It used to be in Moodle (I'm not sure when it vanished). This sort of thing (empty 'ghost' directories) can happen if using Git for example.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Matt Dixon -

I do see that directory and it's not empty. There's quite a few php files in there.

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It isn't in Moodle 3.4... so why is it there?

Have you copied new versions of Moodle over the top of old versions? You mustn't do that (this sort of thing happens).

by Matt Dixon -

I've updated through our hosting platform InMotion. There's an option in the Cpanel called "Softaculous" that lists our installation of Moodle and allows us to update it. I was instructed to do this by their support line.

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Howard Miller -

Oh no....

Don't take this the wrong way... but... if they told you to use a script they provide and it broke your site perhaps they should help you fix it?

We did not provide this script. We don't know what it does. We don't know what it did wrong. I strongly do NOT recommend these scripts as it makes it very hard indeed to support Moodle. 

I would suggest that you ditch Softaculous, take copies of the database and 'moodledata' directory and upgrade using only code that you have downloaded from moodle.org.

Just for the record... it would have saved us all some time if you mentioned Softaculous in the first place wink

by Matt Dixon -

Sorry, I'm very new to Moodle as I've just inherited the site from a developer and have the task of upgrading it.

Unforunately InMotion's support insists I get a developer to help with upgrading and cannot assist... I've tried multiple times to have them help and they simply will not.

So I should wipe the dev site, start from scratch by re-cloning it, get the updates from moodle.org and copy the update files over the existing moodle data?

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Howard Miller -

Your first step is to clone/migrate the site. See - Moodle_migration

In short...

- Backup the database and restore a copy on the new site

- Copy your 'moodledata' files area over to the new site

- Download a copy of the moodle code and put in a suitable location on the new site. It needs to be the same or newer version. 

- copy config-dist.php to config.php and edit the latter. Change the settings to point to your DB, 'moodledata' and the url of the site

- Run moodle

by Matt Dixon -

Thank you for the responses. I'm having trouble understanding the config-dist.php and config.php steps. I copied the config-dist.php from my /public_html directory to my devtesting directory. Do I need to make the copy there or just copy the code from it into a new config.php file I'm putting in my dev directory? 

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The config-dist.php file should only come into play on a new install.  It just prompts the system to step you a part of the install process that effectively fills out the config.php file.  The config.php is what contains all your basic site settings telling moodle what database you are using and the user that connects to it, and the location of your moodle code and moodledata.  If you have migrated a site, you need the original config.php file as it contains the salt used to connect to the database.  You might need to adjust the locations of your site and data folders.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Matt Dixon -

So what I've done is I've cloned my original site and I'm making a new subdomain to use for testing.

My main site config file states a db named "Career57_mood695".

Doing a search for that, I can't find anything named that in the file manager on my site.

That being said, what do I enter for the copied config.php for my dev site?

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You are not going to find a database in your file manager - did you import it to the database server on the new server?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Matt Dixon -

It's on the same server. I've copied the database from my live site to another database called moodtest.

Can you be specific about the config.php file for someone who has no php knowledge? What files/lines do I need to copy and where?

Thanks for your help.

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Emma Richardson -

The config.php file is in your moodle folder.  You should be able to just change the name of the database in there to reflect the new one.  

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to what Howard said ...

this part ... 'theme als' appears to be about a theme site is trying to use but can't ... falls back to boost.

So I'd say 'als' theme not compat with 3.4.x.  Is there an 'als' directory in the themes directory of Moodle code?

Remove the theme from Moodle Admin Themes.   And you might also have to manually remove the 'als' directory from themes directory as well ... if Moodle Admin UI won't delete files.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -

I think it's more likely the theme isn't there. Even quite ancient themes "sort of" work. Falling back implies absence of thing. 

In reply to Ken Task

by Matt Dixon -

We have a public_html\themes\als but this is used by our live site as well and I cannot remove or rename it. I've confirmed that renaming it does break the theme on our live site. So if this theme is not compatible, is there a newer version I can find/install? Where do I find Moodle Themes and fix this?

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Howard Miller -

Your live site as opposed to what site?

How can (if this is what you mean) two sites be affected by removing one directory?

Sorry if I'm missing something here.

by Matt Dixon -

I've cloned the site and the issues are happening on our test site when updating to moodle 3.4

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Howard Miller -

Ok... well, at the moment anyway, we're unconcerned with your live site. We need to get the test site working. Then we can back-track once the problems have been identified. 

In reply to Matt Dixon

by Deependra Singh -

Hi Matt,

I guess you are using a deprecated plugin (qeupgradehelper), you need to take backup of the plugin. and remove the plugin from there location. And proceed the upgradation.

I hope it will work. But Please share the more details about your test site Upgradation. The version of your before upgradated site .

It will be better if you follow the Moodle Upgradation guideline and there scriipts only.

Regards,

Deependra