Pagination after attempts

Pagination after attempts

by Andrew Barrett -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Moodle-verse,

I am using moodle 3.2 and have a quiz already attempted by 300 students with another 700 to come. One of my teachers accidentally repaginated the quiz from the Quiz Settings page to one question per page. This has put the descriptors on pages of their own rather than displaying on the same page as a select set of questions. 

As a once-off, is there a way to change the question pagination of this single quiz? 

Or export the student responses and re-import into a new quiz? 

Or, heaven forbid, manually re-input and grade the responses of cloze and MC type questions. 

Advice very welcome. 

Thanks.

Andrew 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Barrett

Re: Pagination after attempts

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is it not allowing you?  I wouldn't think pagination would affect the results - it is not as though you are changing any questions.

In reply to Andrew Barrett

Re: Pagination after attempts

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that the blanket ban: "You can't edit what is in the quiz after a student has attempted it" applies here.

However, if you are happy to do that sort of thing, it is probably safe to update this directly in the database, if you are careful. (I suggest making a test quiz, and experimenting there first, before doing this for year.)

There are two things that need to be updated:

• In the quiz_slots table, find the rows for this quiz, and it is probably just a matter of changing the values in the 'page' column to get the layout you want.
  • However, this will only affect newly created attempts. Any attempt that were started before you fixed the layout will still have the old layout. To fix that, you need to look in the quiz_attempts table, at the values in the layout column. That is a string that is a comma-separated list of slot numbers, with '0' for a page break. You would need to update that too.

The usual caveats about directly editing data in the database apply. (If you screw up, you can cause huge damage.)

If you do try to do this, I suggest temporarily hiding the quiz from students while you do it.