First time here? Instructions format issue

First time here? Instructions format issue

by Philip Jones -
Number of replies: 3
Using moodle 3.4.1 with the Clean theme, the customized First time here? Instruction text does not display as expected.  Is this a known issue with a work around?

The displayed text is centered even though it is left justified in the editor, (Dashboard / ► Site administration / ► Plugins / ► Authentication / ► Manage authentication > Common Settings > Instructions)

Using the Boost theme the displayed text is also not as entered if the bulleted section is indented.

Here is an example of Clean theme text centered when displayed.

Clean Theme First Time Here Instructions are centered when displayed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philip Jones

Re: First time here? Instructions format issue

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I suggest completely clearing the Instruction text, and then build these instruction step-by-step, always checking the results along the way.

I couldn't find any CSS code specific to only this Instructions block.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Philip Jones -

@ Rick Jerz,

Excellent suggestion! I experimented and found it sensitive to the order in which formatting is applied to lines in the customized instructions. Perhaps the work around is to use the HTML icon to edit the results and assign explicit style="text-align . . ."

Starting with lines of plain text and clicking editor icons to assign bullet format to interior lines produces  this code:

<p>Hi! For full access to courses you'll need to take a minute to create a new account for yourself on the CCI Online training site. Here are the steps:</p><p><ul><li>Fill out the New Account form with your details.<br></li><li>An email will be immediately sent to your email address.<br></li><li>Read your email, and click on the web link it contains.<br></li><li>Your account will be confirmed and you will be logged in.<br></li><li>Now, select the course and enroll by selecting the Send Payment button.<br></li><li>You may pay using a credit card, debit card or your PayPal account.<br></li></ul></p><p>You can now access the full course. From now on you will only need to enter your personal username and password (in the form on this page) to log in and access any of your courses.</p>

Assigning bulleted and centered format to all lines and then working from top to bottom to assign the desired format produces this code:

<p style="text-align: left;">Hi! For full access to courses you'll need to take a minute to create a new account for yourself on the CCI Online training site. Here are the steps:<br></p><p style="text-align: center;"></p><ul><li style="text-align: left;">Fill out the New Account form with your details.<br></li><li style="text-align: left;">An email will be immediately sent to your email address.<br></li><li style="text-align: left;">Read your email, and click on the web link it contains.<br></li><li style="text-align: left;">Your account will be confirmed and you will be logged in.<br></li><li style="text-align: left;">Now, select the course and enroll by selecting the Send Payment button.<br></li><li style="text-align: left;">You may pay using a credit card, debit card or your PayPal account.<br></li></ul><p></p><p style="text-align: left;">You can now access the full course. From now on you will only need to enter your personal username and password (in the form on this page) to log in and access any of your courses.</p><p style="text-align: center;"><br></p><p style="text-align: center;"><br></p>

In reply to Philip Jones

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hmmm, let me see if I can add a few bullets right here.  Moodle.org is using ATTO.  Which editor are you using?

• This is line 1
  • This is line 2
  • This is line 3
  • This is line 4

I first created these lines, then selected all, and then applied bullets.

Seems to work.  You give it a try on Moodle.org.  Then try on your own site.