The right place for posting documentation?

The right place for posting documentation?

by Mohammad Yaseen -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

If I want to post and talk about my own custom bash or PHP scripts that help and facilitate specific aspects of Moodle functionality, like automating backups, upgrade ...etc. where do you think is the right place to do so within the Moodle forums?

Also if I have best practices or innovative use of some activities, is there a place for such "user documentation or best practises"?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammad Yaseen

Re: The right place for posting documentation?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's difficult to give a definite answer... However, some random thoughts...

* Scripts should probably go in Github and you can link to that from a forum post (or somewhere else)

* Both the developer and general documentation sites are Wikis and anybody can edit them. Please respect core Moodle information but there are plenty of opportunities for linking to 'See also' style information where you can create your own page. 

* Look through the forums and find the most appropriate ones to simply start discussing things.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mohammad Yaseen -
Thank you Howard, appreciate your input.

On Feb 12, 2018 4:02 PM, "Howard Miller (via Moodle.org)" <

by m question -

there is developer forum "For general developer news or issues that don't fit into any of the other forums!"

In reply to m question

by Mohammad Yaseen -

Thank you

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove the signature, as they are not allowed in the forums according to the site policy - original submission Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 7:30 AM)

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mohammad Yaseen -

Hi Howard,

I guess you mean by developer / general documentation wiki sites is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moodle

Because the official documentation subsites require official registered users

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

The developer and general documentation sites that Howard mentioned are the Dev docs and Moodle Docs respectively.

You're welcome to contribute to either by logging in with your moodle.org username and password. If you don't have a username and password because you created a moodle.org account by logging in using your account on Google, Microsoft or Facebook, please email support@moodle.org then we can provide you with a username and password. (Both sites use MediaWiki and don't yet have OAuth 2 authentication.)

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mohammad Yaseen -

Thank you, Helen, I'm thankful for your support.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Another alternative, if your work supplementary to Moodle, not directly in the "tree" of Moodle documentation is to maintain a tech-blog on your topics. You can add links to them in the Moodle documentation, provide the link in related discussions in the community forum, etc.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mohammad Yaseen -
Absolutely planning to do so. Appreciate your input.

Thanks