LDAP - Add subcontext

LDAP - Add subcontext

by Mike Verna -
Number of replies: 2

LDAP is running fine, but I want to narrow the scope of my LDAP users.

If I add a subcontext group to my server, which will include the current users, will that have an affect on the current users within Moodle?

Will the later syncs remove anyone who is not part of that new subcontext?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Verna

Re: LDAP - Add subcontext

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It depends on how you have your settings set up in LDAP for what to do with users that are no longer on LDAP server.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: LDAP - Add subcontext

by Mike Verna -

Our LDAP server authenticates more than just Moodle users.

My intent is begin to prevent remove the users who no longer have a need to log into Moodle anymore and as it turns out, many of those have no need for Moodle anymore, by using a different subcontext on the LDAP server, containing only the users who need to log into Moodle.

I understand the hazards of just going in to delete users from Moodle, hence I have the word "backup" tattooed on my forehead. ( I get strange looks)

My main concern is that if they are a member of subcontexts A and B right now when they log into Moodle.  I sync using subcontext A right now.  All the members of subcontext B are members of Subcontext A.

I want to change the subcontext to B when someone logs in.  Not everyone in subcontext B is a member of subcontext A.   I want to make sure that the sameuser is not created from scratch. 

Then remove those users who will now only be part of subcontext A.  Backing up before of course.

I hope I did not thoroughly confuse everyone, I think I may be.