Parent / Child roles in Moodle

Parent / Child roles in Moodle

by Hannah Tyreman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi!

We have two courses running on our Moodle site concurrently. One for practitioners and one for mentors. We have connected our mentors on one course to their mentees on another course as parent and child so that the mentor can view how their mentees are getting on as well as messaging them. 

One of our mentors has tried to view the progress of one of her mentees but when they clicked on their name, they got the message that she has 'not been enrolled on any common courses with this user.'

Is there a reason for this and can I fix it? I was under the impression that parents could see a child's progress without having to be enrolled on the same course. I've double-checked the settings for the mentor role that was created but am I missing something?

Thanks!

Hannah.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hannah Tyreman

Re: Parent / Child roles in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The error message  'not been enrolled on any common courses with this user.' was that the actual error message you got? Because I don't recognise it from the mentor(Parent role). When you say you have double checked the settings for the mentor, are you referring to the settings in the Parent role documentation?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Parent / Child roles in Moodle

by Hannah Tyreman -

Hi! 

Thanks for getting back to me.

We had an email from one of our mentors about the error message she'd received. She'd clicked on her mentee from the dashboard and she says... when I click on their profile page it says I have not been enrolled on “any common courses with this user”.

And yes, I'm referring to the guidance in the parent role documentation. smile