Course not showing in Courses in progess

Course not showing in Courses in progess

by Mark Roebuck -
Number of replies: 9

Hi.

I don't know what I am missing here but I can't find a course in the My Courses block once it has been enrolled.

I have created a Topic based course which has a Course Module and an Assessment Module.  Both are in the same Topic, so there is only one Topic in the course.  Both are SCORM packages.

The course module is set up for unlimited attempts (as I want students to be able to keep going back to it)

The assessment module is set for 3 attempts, so that I can tell if a student is struggling.

When we open the dashboard we can see the course listed in 'Available Courses' and we can enroll on the course and complete the course module.  If however we come out of the course, we would expect that we could see the course in the My Courses block 'Course in progress' section.  It is not there.

We can see that we have access to it in the My Course dropdown menu, but this is very confusing for students who think it has been removed and so they don't complete the assessment.

Now that I have expalined all of that I should state that I am using course licences to allocate users on a course in IOMAD.  I don't think that this will amke a difference but all onformation is worth knowing.

I am on Moodle 3.2.

Any help to a frustrated moodler?

Thanks

Mark.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Roebuck

Re: Course not showing in Courses in progess

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you talking about the Course overview block in 3.3 onwards? If you are then check (1) the end date of the course is not in the past and (2) you have not completed the activity (with activity completion tick) Both of those will move the course to the Past tab. Is it there by any chance?

You mention you are on 3.2 so this might not apply to you, but just checking.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Roebuck -

Hi Mary

I mean the block on the dashboard with Available courses, Course in Progress & Completed Courses.

It does not show in any of them, but does show in the MyCourses Dropdown...

ThanksMark

In reply to Mark Roebuck

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you are on 3.2, that is an Iomad customisation (the current/past/future new dashboard isn't in Moodle core until 3.3 as Mary says). 3.2 had the standard (old) overview block.

It sounds like you probably need to contact Iomad support about this issue.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mark Roebuck -

Cheers Guys.

Will follow up there.

M

In reply to Mark Roebuck

by Mark Roebuck -

Sorry, I misled you.  The moodle version is 3.3.4, so it seems I am back to square one.

In reply to Mark Roebuck

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If it is 3.3.4 then does my previous reply apply?

In reply to Mark Roebuck

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is IOMAD a theme - can you switch to clean theme and see if issues still applies?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Roebuck -

Hi Mary.

The course end date is set to 2019, so it wont be that I don't think.

I have created anew coursewith two topics (SCORM course and separate Moodle Quiz).  I have completed the course - and there is a tick, but I have not completed the quiz.

Emma.

No Iomad is not a theme its is an overlay on top of Moodle which allows you to set up different companies and manage them all. - I have tested different themes though (including Boost) and I have the same issue).

All.

I have moved on slightly to find a work around and it seems to me that the 'Course Overview' Block would solve my issue however I cannot find out how to put it onto the dashboard.

Mark.

In reply to Mark Roebuck

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Mark,

Did you set completion criteria for the Topic based course?  You can set it such that to get credit for completing it, they must complete the two activities.  I believe this will cause the course to remain on the Dashboard as in progress.

Ron

Average of ratings: Useful (1)