Grades for one student do not go into the gradebook

Grades for one student do not go into the gradebook

by Kristbjorg Olsen -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has had this problem or knows what causing it. This is a course with 8 quizzes, all grades go automatically into the gradebook as expected, with the exception of one student's grades. He finished all the quizzes on time and you can see his grades in the quizzes´ attempt overview but in the gradebook his grade fields are blank.

By regrading all quizzes the student´s grades went into the gradebook but still I would like to know if anyone knows why this happens and if it can be prevented.

Moodle 3.3

Best regards,
Kristbjörg

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristbjorg Olsen

Re: Grades for one student do not go into the gradebook

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The student whose grades are not going into the gradebook. Can you do Quiz administration -> Check permissions. Look in particular at mod/quiz:preview.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Thank you Tim.

This student's mod/quiz:preview is set to no as with other students. I checked all of his permissions in two of the quizzes and they are all the same as other students.

Best,
Kristbjörg

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would think that someone must have overridden the grades for that student at one point and then cleared the overridden status, maybe in the gradebook quick view screen.  You might try looking at the logs.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Thank you Emma.

This is exactly what I asked the teacher and is the only explanation I could come up with. The teacher swears he's done nothing of the sort. I cannot find anything in the logs, have looked at each quiz and all 5 teachers in the course but I don't know how to get logs specifically for the gradebook.

Ok I just found grade history, going to have a look.

"userdelete" looks suspicious in grade history but it looks like the student himself did that.

userdelet

Best,
Kristbjörg

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What they don't realize is that they might have gone into the quick view for the student and overridden with blank scores.  They would not realize that they blocked the quiz from grading that student by doing that.  I have found that teachers often don't know what they have done and come back with No I never changed anything because they have no idea that they did!  

The fact that a regrade then entered the grade is very strange because it seems to indicate that whatever blocked the grade in the first place was cleared...

The only other thing that I could think of is that someone entered a new due date for that user in the quiz user override function and his score was not recorded until the quiz ended, which was later for him than other students.

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Perfectly true, overridden fields in the gradebook are often the cause for grades not being able to enter the gradebook. Teachers so often do something like this by accident, not knowing.

What happened: The student was unrolled from the course on 20 October, after he had finished all his quizzes (userdelete in grade history). His grades along with his name were then deleted from the gradebook. Moodle does not however delete quizzes results, even for unrolled students.

According to enrolled users list, the student was enrolled to the course (for the second time) 23 October. His name then comes back into the gradebook but without his grades. Grades do not go into the gradebook when nothing is being done.

In grade history: The student in question had userdelete on 20 October. There was always no underneath overridden, so I don’t think that was the cause in this case.

Users are enrolled and unrolled from external database in my school. It is not possible to unroll a student inside Moodle or remove the student role from a student. So my question now is for the student registration office. How did this happen or why?

by Emma Richardson -

Ahh, mystery somewhat resolved!  Now, I have seen occasionally where a network glitch during the student login will unenroll him from the class and if he did not log in for three days, that would be the next time that his enrollment would sync unless there is a scheduled sync happening. 

There is a setting to automatically restore grades upon re-enrollment in the grade-book settings.  You might check and see if that is selected.  I am guessing it is not as nromally those grades would be restored.

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Thank you very much for this Emma. 

In grades > general settings I changed this setting to yes: By default recover old grades when re-enrolling a user in a course (the default setting is No).

Moodle syncs with the user database once every hour and that has never caused any problems to my knowledge.

In the student registration office I found that they were working on the student's education processes the same day the student was unrolled from the Moodle course. Apparantly the student had two active processes, one was being made inactive and the course in question was then moved from the inactive process to the active one. I need to have a talk with them to check if they can do this differently in the future so the student is not unrolled.

Thanks,
Kristbjörg