How to deliver the course material in two languages.

How to deliver the course material in two languages.

by yue liu -
Number of replies: 7
I am tring to deliver the course material like the lecture notes (uploaded files) in both English and Chinese, which can be choosen by users. If user choose chinese only chinese lecture notes are displayed. Does any one can offer me some help on this?   
Average of ratings: -
In reply to yue liu

Re: How to deliver the course material in two languages.

by Tim Allen -
In reply to Tim Allen

by yue liu -

The problem is :

For example what I want is upload two versions of assignments, one in Chinese, the other in English. My plan is if user's language is English only the english documentation is available to him. But now the Chinese assignments is atill available to him. 

In reply to yue liu

by Robert Brenstein -
Sounds like you have two distinct groups of students, one functioning in English and another in Chinese. May be the simplest solution would be to just have two separate courses. The groups feature could be used as well, me thinks, but you would need to manually assign students to be either in English or in Chinese group.

If students are free to switch languages, then the multi-lang filter is indeed your solution. You would create not two but a single assignment and have two language blocks inside, one English and another Chinese. Then, depending on the language selection, a given user would see one or the other.

If you are talking about downloadable files, then things are more complicated because, nfortunately, multilang filter does not act on file paths and you need a workabout. I would enter the assignment as web page and manually specify links to proper files within each language block. You could enter this as a request in bugtracker. I don't think it would be difficult to add this as a feature to the File and Folder resources (at least File since one can manually edit the file path).
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by yue liu -
yeah, these are helpful. I can delivery the comtent using to languages using: <span lang="en"> hello</span>. But this seems not working on the full site name, your word to teachers and so on. Any way to solve this problem?
In reply to yue liu

by Robert Brenstein -
You should switch to "Text Filters" forum with questions about multi-lang filter. There is a link somewhere there which lists what is being filtered and what not.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Đinh Lư Giang -
Multi-lang filter is great. I have my site in four languages, and it works nicely. But, each time a learner wants to switch a language into another, he/she must go back to the front page and switch. Do you friends find how to allow language selector drop-down menu in each course, like it is in the Moodle mainpage?
Thanks in advance.
Dinh Lu Giang

In reply to yue liu

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Similar problem here -

I'm trying to do a Chinese course for English speakers.  When I make the lessons, quizzes, and etc the Chinese characters appear as question marks.  I need both languages to be displayed at the same time.  How exactly can I fix this?  Thanks!