I have to send send mail to the student from moodle

I have to send send mail to the student from moodle

by Navaneethan C -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I am working on moodle 3.4+ version. I have searched the document to send mail from moodle to student. I am getting the document while searching but that are representing old version of moodle, i am not getting for 3.4+ version. And course->Participants->List of students->select any/all students ->in (With selected users...) dropdown there is no send a mail option but in old version it is available. anyone knows guide me..

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Navaneethan C

Re: I have to send send mail to the student from moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The latest version of the documentation is here: Moodle docs

You won't see the specific option to send an email because there are many different ways now that students are notified -for example on their mobile phones with an alert. They might get your message as an email if they have specified that in their preferences, but they might not.

There is a plugin for sending an email - at least, I presume it sends an email but I have never tried it . It is the Quickmail block

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Navaneethan C -

Hi Mary,

Thanks, for your reply...

I installed the plugin Quickmail and i configured SMTP in server->Email->outgoing mail configuration. then i tried to send mail to a user/student but it shows an error "Could not email student student.". student student is a user/student name. i missed any thing or i done any mistake while configuring STMP. You mention that you didn't tried it before..If you have any idea please share to me..

by Terus E-learning -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Navaneethan, 

You definitely want to get your SMTP settings right. 

Make sure the port is correct as per your hosting provider instructions. 

As an alternative for a one off email to students, you could always download the users via bulk user actions, filter in excel and then send it as a mail merge, or copy the cells into your bcc field... probably not the best practice but it works. 

good luck! 

Oliver

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Terus E-learning

by Navaneethan C -

Hi Terus,

Now it is working for me...Thanks for your reply...

by Brian Dietrich -

hi there for a school project i have to use quickmail and i made some settings but it's not working ...

can you give me screeshot of your settings (incoming mail outgoing mail )because i'm lost ;( thanks