Prevent students from seeing others' grades

Prevent students from seeing others' grades

by Margot Soreli -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I found out that when clicking on "Attempts: number" at the top of the "Summary of your previous attempts" page, a student can see all the other students' names and results.

I have double checked their permissions and they are students indeed. So where could I prevent them from seeing the other students names at least? (because names should remain hidden) And if it's not possible how can I prevent them from accessing this gradebook report?

Thank you!

In reply to Margot Soreli

Re: Prevent students from seeing others' grades

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Their permissions are set wrong - students should not have that link at all.  Do they also have the permission to change the grades?  

If someone has been messing with student permission, I would probably suggest reseting the student role to default unless there are specific things that you need students to do out of the ordinary.  If changes have been made that you need, then you need to go through the grade and assignment permissions with a fine tooth comb and fix it there.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Margot Soreli -

Thanks for getting back to me, Emma!

Unfortunately I went through the permissions relative to grades and assignments and made sure they couldn't do anything with grades (not able to see any reports etc.). However, despite this amendments, they can still access the report and see the other users' names and grades, by clicking on "Attempts". So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Wouldn't that be a bug?

In reply to Margot Soreli

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

They should not have the attempts link.  You have something set wrong.  Is it on every assignment and every activity?  Are you actually logging as a student (not just switching role)?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Margot Soreli -

I checked the settings again for students and found that they were allowed to "view quiz reports". Unticking that box solved the problem, thank you!