Problem with plugin upgrade

Problem with plugin upgrade

by Hansjörg Sattler -
Number of replies: 6

Yesterday i tried to update the plugin "ohoo - Tab display" with the upgrade function in the moodel administration. I've got this message:

upgrade-problem

How can i solve the problem?

Moodle 3.3 and php 7.0

Thank you very much.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hansjörg Sattler

Re: Problem with plugin upgrade

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Hansjörg,
could you provide the error in plain English or a copy of the text in German (it will help in translating it wink)?
Please include where the linked text points to too: it could help in understanding where the code of that plugin could be "broken".

Is it https://github.com/oohoo/moodle-mod_tab ?
3 yrs old since latest update there: for sure that plug-in is not compatible w/ 3.3 (and eventually PHP 7.0): https://github.com/oohoo/moodle-mod_tab/issues/21#issuecomment-350781793.

TIA,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Hansjörg Sattler -

Hi Matteo,

here comes the error message in english as text copy. The more information link goes to https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/error/admin/upgradeerror  - unfortunately this page doesn't exist.....

It's the mod_tab plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_tab). The Plugin directory says, that the new version works with 3.3 and 3.4....

mod_tab

Unknown error when upgrading from mod_tab to 2017121400. Impossible to continue.

Debug info:
Error code: upgradeerror
Stack trace:
  • line 251 of /lib/upgradelib.php: upgrade_exception thrown
  • line 747 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_mod_savepoint()
  • line 444 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1754 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 699 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

In the upgrade_log-Table of the moodle-database i found this entrys, perhaps it can help you. It seems, that there is a problem with the version numbers, but I don't know, how to solve it.

Upgrade-Problem-entrys-database

At the moment the most important question for me is: how can i stop the upgrade process? After login in moodle as admin I only see this and con do nothing else: plugin-prüfung

Thank you very much for your help and ideas.

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Hansjörg,
unfortunately the version reported in the Plugins directory is not the one described in the linked source in GitHub so I cannot say anything more than you need to contact the authors, reporting them your issue and telling them that it would be (more than) nice to keep their public source up-to-date with what published in the Moodle directory.

From a dev perspective, something is preventing to complete the upgrade step, registering in Moodle the new plugin version in the Moodle plugin config table: are you running out of space for the database (guessing no)... unfortunately I've no elements to proceed further in the investigation.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Hansjörg Sattler -

Hi Matteo,

thank you very much for your help. I will contact the developers directly. But perhaps you have an idea, how can i stop the upgrade process (without restore the database = lost the last day of work)  - because at the moment, i can't do nothing....

Greetings,
Hansjörg

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

Hi Hansjörg,
you can hack the moodle database by telling that the version 2017121400 has been already installed.

Browse to config_plugins table where plugin column is equal to tab and name column is equal to version: annotate the current value, guessing 2016053102, and update it w/ 2017121400. Finally purge all caches via CLI.

BTW, I've just downloaded the plugin from the directory and the archive name is mod_tab_moodle34_2017121401.zip and the version inside is 2017121401: maybe you've donwloaded an intermediate broken version? Try to update the code of the module before hacking the database as described above.

HTH,
Matteo

by Hansjörg Sattler -

Hello Matteo,

thank you very much for your help. Fortunately the module was until now only used in a few not very important courses. So I decided to delete the aktivity and install it completely new. Now I can use my moodle in a normal way smile

Greetings
Hansjörg