Expired Dates in Moodle... Why?

Expired Dates in Moodle... Why?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 4

I can set a due date to expire in 1901.   At first I thought it was a bit funny but now wonder, has Moodle been around that long?

The worst part is the present year is always at the bottom of the list. When I am programming for the next calendar year, I always have to stop, find the mouse, delicately line up the arrow to scroll one year to the next.

Granted it is not much effort but these things seriously add up and maybe they can be cured one at a time.

How about a set of up/down arrows to change the year by one click at a time? 
Does anyone ever select anything other than this year or next?

TTKMAWAN

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Expired Dates in Moodle... Why?

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I don't know if it applies to your scenario but in my browser, once I've clicked on the year, I can then either user the arrow/cursor keys to move up or down, or just type the year I want. It's probably a bit quicker than clicking the scroll bar.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Ach, learnin somtin new ever day.....
Life is good....

Now if I could only know when the page has finished loading least I click just before it shifts and I end up activating the wrong option...

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Steve,

I used to get frustrated too from trying to click an option before the page finished loading. Took a while to train myself to look at the browser tab and wait until the "loading" indicator goes away. In Firefox it is a dot that bounces left/right. In Chrome it is a spinning circle.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I think it is peculiar that we have to stop the thought process to wait for loading technology.  I see why it is loading but why does it have to push the content around?  It is very lazy programming that does it.  As long as we put up with it, it stays.  There are some web sites that are rock hard stable yet load a lot of "features".

I forget what software but I can block web sites.  The more they jump around, the higher the probability that I will block it.  Unfortunately there are those sites that required use ones.

I wonder if I could write an app as a web page stabilizer.

Still, I wonder why Moodle can go as far back as 1901. 
Is there any reason to set a due date before today?

Was Moodle that popular then?