Reading Comprehension Questions

Reading Comprehension Questions

by Bruce Wilbee -
Number of replies: 12

We would like to format a quiz so that there is a panel on the left with an image or a passage the learner needs to read and then a panel on the right with 5-10 multiple choice questions related to the passage.  The learner should be able to scroll up and down in the panel on the right without moving the panel on the left.

I have included a picture of a paper copy of one of the questions.

Any ideas would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

Attachment IMG_0514.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Wilbee

Re: Reading Comprehension Questions

by Test BC -

You can use Hot Potatoes plugin, it gives you exactly this option. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Test BC

by Abhilash j o -

hi can we able to create same but question should be display in different page with passage. Thanks for response.  

In reply to Bruce Wilbee

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Bruce,

Make the first question a Description question and enclose the text to read with div tags as follows:

<div style="
  position:fixed;
  top:50px;
  right:310px;
  width:500px;
  height:600px;
  background-color:white;
  border: 1px solid #cccccc;
  padding:15px;
  overflow: scroll;
  z-index:2147483647;">

Text...

</div> 

In the multiple choice questions, enclosed each choice with div tags as follows:

<div style="
  width:450px;
  display: inline-block;
  vertical-align:top;">

Choice...

</div> 

Adjust the various dimensions as required (top, right, width, height)

The above solution uses one window. Another solution would be to open a second window with the window.open method.

You can try the quiz at https://moodleformulas.org/mod/quiz/view.php?id=2291 (log in as 'student' with password 'Moodle2018#'

Formulas20180519-2256.png

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Phuong Hoang -

Hi there,

It seems to be right direction. However, it covers parts of the questions. Why don't we place the reading text in the Description and make it scrollable and sticky (display in every page of the reading questions)?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Phuong,

In this example, all questions are displayed on the same page. They can be viewed by simply using the scroll bar on the right. The text box is displayed at a fixed position and the text can be moved up and down using the scroll bar of the text box.

I've included another example that uses two windows. With this setup, questions can be layed out on separate pages:
https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=22&section=68 (log in as 'student' with password 'Moodle2018#')

If I understand you correctly, you would put a copy of the text in an Description question at the top of each page. Why not. You may want to include a screenshot and an xml file of your solution for further discussion.

Solution using two windows:

by Bruce Wilbee -

Thank you Dominique,

I have my programmer seeing if he can fix the problem of the windows overlapping and hopefully we can get this going!

i appreciate your ideas.

Bruce

In reply to Bruce Wilbee

by Dominique Bauer -

Here is an improved version where the text panel is part of the question, scrollable and responsive: (The question are on the left and the text on the right. It is not possible to reverse this except by editing the question PHP code.)

The xml file is available at https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=22&section=28

Only user HTML code is used.

회신: Re: Reading Comprehension Questions

by Pak Jongweon -

Where is source to show your screenshot like above? 

In reply to Pak Jongweon

Re: 회신: Re: Reading Comprehension Questions

by Dominique Bauer -

안녕하세요 Jongweon,

The three examples on Reading comprehension are now at https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=22&section=28.

The code is displayed by clicking on "Question settings".

It is also convenient to download the XML file of the question by clicking the XML button and then import the question into you site for review. See https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Import_questions for how to import questions.

In reply to Phuong Hoang

by Bruce Wilbee -

Hi Phuong, I have finally circled back to this project after a lot of interruptions.  Were you ever able to achieve "Why don't we place the reading text in the Description and make it scrollable and sticky (display in every page of the reading questions)?"?

If so, can you share the code?