LDAP authentication test

LDAP authentication test

by András Égler -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

In the near future, our company is going to launch an LDAP server, and we would like to authenticate the users in our Moodle e-learning system via LDAP. My job is to prepare our e-learning system (Moodle v3.3) to this authentication method. I've successfully enabled the LDAP auth module and I found an online demo LDAP server: https://www.forumsys.com/tutorials/integration-how-to/ldap/online-ldap-test-server/

I tried to configure the Moodle LDAP module by using the description of forumsys (server, Bind dn, Bind pw, etc.), you can check the screenshots about the Moodle LDAP configuration.

I guess, with a correct configuration, I should be able to login e.g. the username "euler" (with password: password), but login failed (login failed with id "1").

Could you please help me about the correct settings?
Attachment ldap1.jpg
Attachment ldap2.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to András Égler

Re: LDAP authentication test

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, you don't have anything in User Attribute - you will need to add that, though I really can't see the point of this exercise...you should just wait until you have your own server online and work on that one.

LDAP is all about the connection - making it fire up on a server that is not even yours really does not tell you anything except that the plugin works.  I can tell you that the plugin works!

In reply to Emma Richardson

Tárgy: Re: LDAP authentication test

by András Égler -

Emma! Thank you for your answer! I only have to make an online presentation about a working connection between the Moodle and an LDAP server. I guess it is just a confirmation that Moodle can authenticate users via LDAP and my job is to demonstrate it. I believe you, but I have to make an online presentation for our principals (this is why I'm using an online demo LDAP server). Do you have any idea how to do this?

In reply to Emma Richardson

Tárgy: Re: LDAP authentication test

by András Égler -

BTW: I've already tried to use the following user attributes without any success: uid, cn.

In reply to András Égler

Tárgy: LDAP authentication test

by András Égler -

Problem solved smile I created a local (WAMP) copy of our Moodle system, and installed the Apache Directory Studio where I was able to create a new LDAP server with some demo data. The Moodle LDAP connection works, my test user is able to login using the un and pw set by LDAP. So I will be able to demonstrate that Moodle can authenticate users via LDAP and we dont have to switch to another LMS system smile

In reply to András Égler

Re: Tárgy: LDAP authentication test

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Glad you were able to figure it out - there is also LDAP enrollment which create teachers and students for courses from LDAP groups which is pretty neat.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)