Placing Student ID at top of Quiz screen

Placing Student ID at top of Quiz screen

by Ken Masters -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All

Ver 3.1

We need to have an accurate way to ensure that the student sitting in front of the computer is logged in correctly as themselves.  

For me, the most obvious way is to have the student's ID card visible, and the student number permanently displayed at the top of the Quiz screen (not affected by scrolling).  This would allow invigilators to match student ID numbers with the number displayed at the top of the screen.

Our tech staff do not wish to do this (no explanation).  Instead, they have made other suggestions, such as displaying the names and photos.  But not a single student on my course has placed an identifiable photo into Moodle.  And the names recorded in our Moodle system do not always match the names on the card.  The only way to match properly is through the unique identifier of the student number (That's why it's called a unique identifier smile

Not being able to verify opens all sorts of opportunities for cheating (which I won't describe in a public forum smile

What do other institutions do to verify that the student in front of the machine is actually logged in as themselves?

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Masters

Re: Placing Student ID at top of Quiz screen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When we were experimenting with online exams, we made a change to our Moodle theme to prominently display the user's name and ID number at the top of the page, like you suggest.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ken Masters -

Tim, would you be prepared to supply a screen-shot of that, and an indication of how much work was involved to do it?

In fact, if anybody else does this, I would appreciate other screenshots also.

Thanks

Regards

In reply to Ken Masters

by Margaret Matthias -

Some of our faculty have the students do a Panopto recording while taking their quizzes/exams. The student starts the recording and shows the id and the room before starting the quiz/exam.  The verification would be after the fact but verifiable if needed, by reviewing the recording.

In reply to Margaret Matthias

by Ken Masters -

Magaret, thanks for this.  I should have clarified, however, that my situation is a large computer lab, where the students are physically present, and we have invigilators walking up and down, just as in old pen-and-paper exam.

Regards