Installing problem: Moodle url doesn't work

Installing problem: Moodle url doesn't work

by Lisa Lewis -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

when I tried to install Moodle on my computer several times, the link to Moodle (with the 8888 in it) doesn't work. This URL is not known. I tried to see the link in Safari and Google Chrome. Neither did the job. How can I possibly use Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lisa Lewis

Re: Installing problem: Moodle url doesn't work

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We really need some information. How are you trying to install Moodle, on what and where?  What instructions are you following?

If it's just to try it out, you might be better looking at Moodle Cloudhttps://moodle.com/cloud/

In reply to Howard Miller

by Lisa Lewis -

Hi Howard,

I tried it out earlier. I just want to use it on my Wordpress website. I show you the things I did in my reply below (reply to the second comment)

I appreciate your help!

Kindest regards,

Shirley-Jane

In reply to Lisa Lewis

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you want to use Moodle in your wordpress site, you need to do the following.

Copy the entire moodle code folder into your wordpress site (probably public_html folder or something similar.)

Create a moodledata folder.

Make sure that you know your database credentials.

Then go to yoursite.com/moodle and the installer should start from there.

However, before you start, you need to make sure that your host is compatible with the moodle requirements (most are not) - you might need to drop back to an earlier version of Moodle.

In reply to Lisa Lewis

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It sounds like you are maybe using mamp?  Have you started servers?  Can you tell us the entire process you did?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Lisa Lewis -

Hi Emma and Howard,

tnx for replying. This is what I did

1. I download de ZIP for Moodle 3.4+  on https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/

2. I open the map 'moodle' in Finder

3. then I don't know, there're lots of files

4. then I see that I have to place these files into my web directory. Now, In the past I knew I could do this with a specific program, however, I'm working with Wordpress and now I have no idea...

Next, I go back to https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/

1.     This time I click on Moodle installer package for Mac OS X on

2.     I download dmg  for Moodle 3.4

3.     I open zip

4.     I move MAMP to my Applications folder (why  on earth is this MAMP, why do I need this?)

5.     I open MAMP and then I open 'link to Moodle'

6.     the link http://localhost:8888/moodle34/ doesn't exist

7.     I open MAMP in Applications

8.     I see a window of MAMP

9.     I take the tour and have no idea what's it about, where's moodle and what to do now?

In reply to Lisa Lewis

by Dan Bennett -

For MAMP on your local machine, you need to check that "Apache" and "MySQL" are running/started before the http://localhost:8888/moodle34/ link will work.

The Moodle Docs page - https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Installing_Moodle - will help you set up Moodle if you are unsure how to do it.

You say you have a Wordpress site already, is this also on your local machine or is this with another hosting provider?

In reply to Dan Bennett

by Lisa Lewis -

Hi Dan,

Wordpress is on other hosting providers. They are just providing, I have to do it myself.

Thank you for the help link, I've been there. Maybe because it's because om unfamilair with the technical language, but I don't see the answer there. It's way to much irrelevant stuff as well.

No idea how to need to check that "Apache" and "MySQL" is running on my computer. Do I NEED MAMP to get Moodle active on my computer?

In reply to Lisa Lewis

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

If WordPress was on a website by a hosting provider and now you want to do it yourself, MAMP really won't work.  MAMP (on your local computer) is much better suited for experimentation.  You need to explore getting your own hosting service, of which there are many companies that provide hosting (usually at a cost.)

Have you looked at using MoodleCloud for your Moodle?  (This won't help with WordPress.)  

In reply to Lisa Lewis

by Dan Bennett -
I'd suggest ignoring the MAMP idea completely and follow what Emma has said about getting Moodle running alongside your Wordpress site on your hosting.

Can I ask who you are using for your Wordpress site? Do you have FTP or SSH access to this to do file uploads?

If you get that in place and create a database ready, the docs link should help you follow along. But if you still get stuck then we can help you.
In reply to Dan Bennett

by Lisa Lewis -

Hi Dan

thanks for helping me out. I just still get it, neither with youtube videos.

I don't know how to get apache and mysql running.

I had a web designer who also provided me the host (absolutely no idea who that is). Since I couldn't afford his maintenance I now only have a website running via him and I have to maintain, upload, back up etc myself. 

In the past, I have been working with a ftp program and moved my files to a server. However, with this wordpress I really don't get it. I think I need a plugin, but I don't know what URL from moodle  I have to fill in etc.

Maybe it's just too difficult when I hardly understand the questions everyone asked and what words like Mamp, apache etc mean ....? It's like I'm trying to read Chinese...

But hey, thanks for thinking along!