Authenticating 3rd party app in SCORM module

Authenticating 3rd party app in SCORM module

by Nathan Wallis -
Number of replies: 1

Hi there, 

I have created an application that applies to the educational sector and it primarily runs outside of moodle but I offer the ability to authenticate with Shibboleth or other SAML 2.0 identity providers. 

This is working fine outside of Moodle. 

However, I also offer an export option to SCORM 1.2 module from inside my application so educators can embed my application easily inside moodle. My export generates a simple SCORM package which is just a manifest with a simple html page that contains an iframe to the relevant content inside my application. 

Once the user is inside moodle is there anyway to pass through their credentials to my iframe, or is there a way on my end to pick up anything that moodle might be able to tell me about the authenticated user?  

From what I understand, its not advisable to be displaying the Shibboleth login page inside my iframe and it seems silly to make them login twice if there was a way for me to determine if my website is being loaded inside an iframe on moodle. 

All the best..

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Wallis

Re: Authenticating 3rd party app in SCORM module

by Nathan Wallis -

Looks like I am better off looking at LTI rather than wrapping my website in a SCORM wrapper... 

Anyone had more experience with LTI?  Any pitfalls I should watch out for?  Is it common for institutions to adopt LTI & do any disable it for any particular reasons?

Cheers..