Is it safe to remove STACK and depending plugins, and then reinstall?

Is it safe to remove STACK and depending plugins, and then reinstall?

by Guido Pinkernell -
Number of replies: 5

Upgrading moodle from 3.2 to 3.3 got stuck on the plugin check page.

Even with a restored database and moodledata backup, reinstalling 3.2 doesn't allow me to get past plugin check. (There seems to be some inconsistency about version numbers with the three depending plugins adaptivemultipart, dfcbmexplicitvaildatem, dfexplicitvaildate.)

So I am thinking about removing the STACK plugin set by removing relevant database tables, doing a upgrade install of moodle 3.3, and then reinstall STACK. Would that affect the functionality of the existing STACK questions?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guido Pinkernell

Re: Is it safe to remove STACK and depending plugins, and then reinstall?

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Guido.

I'm sorry if you are having problems with the upgrade.  I've done my best here and not had these problems myself on the variety of test and live machines I've upgraded.  However, it is impossible for me to test all upgrade routes.

You've suggested there seems to be some inconsistency about version numbers with the three depending plugins adaptivemultipart, dfcbmexplicitvaildatem, dfexplicitvaildate.  Do you have more specific information? Could you email me a screen shot of your upgrade page? (C.J.Sangwin@ed.ac.uk)  If this is the cause then I think we should try to get the plugin dependencies correct before you delete database tables!

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by Guido Pinkernell -

Chris, thanks a lot for your quick reply. I have posted a question about those version inconsistencies in a different forum:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361670

I you could help there that would be great!

Guido

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From the screen-grab in the other thread, it looks like you have down-graded those plugins. The only error is "higher version already installed".

Looking at the earlier columns in that table (taking Adatptive multi-part as a specific eample), you can see that the version you had installed before was 2016082200, and the version you are trying to install now is 2016022900.

That is not going to work. You need to get the files for the 2016022900 versions of these plugins, then all will be well.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Guido Pinkernell -

Thanks, Tim. I am going to answer this in the other thread.

by Guido Pinkernell -

Thanks everyone. Problems solved, as desrcibed in the other thread. (Which does not, of course, answer my question whether it would be safe to remove tables from database. Which I don't need to know now things have been fixed.)