Groups in Workshop

Groups in Workshop

by Mikael Kurula -
Number of replies: 13
Hi,

In my course, computing exercises are done in pairs, so only one report is submitted per two students. I then want two students to grade the same report, so that every student gets one report for review, but of course not his own group's report. The final grade for the report should be automatically applied to both group members in the grade book.

Is this presently (Moodle 3.3) possible? I have fed the groups into the course, but when I picked "Separate groups" (as I have been doing to achieve similar behaviour for assignments), the report gets assigned to the same group that wrote it. When I choose no groups, the reports are distributed at random, but there is no check that a student doesn't grad his/her own report, and the grades are probably applied only to the person in the group who submitted the work.

Neither the Moodle docs nor the FAQ seems to provide any clues in this case. I also tried searching the forum, but could not find anything. I'd be very grateful for any help!

Mikael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mikael Kurula

Re: Groups in Workshop

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It needs to be "Visible groups" and at the random allocation screen, you check "Prevent reviews by peers from the same group"

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mikael Kurula -

Thanks for the advice, this indeed seems to have worked! Has the details of how different kinds of groups function in Workshops been documented somewhere?

Also, I have two suggestions for improvements of the workshop module:

1. When working in groups and somebody reviews the report, seemingly only the person handing in the report of the group sees the review. All members of the group should be able to see the review of their common report, regardless of who handed it in.

2. Two members from the same group should not be allocated to review the same report, since some groups review all the reports of the group together.

Where is the appropriate place to post these feature requests? I've tried using the Moodle bug tracker before, but I get the impression that I've been doing it wrong.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

https://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_Workshop#Groups_and_Workshop

Thanks for suggesting these improvements. I must admit though that there are strong worries that adding full support for group work (aka team work) and group-level assessments like you propose, would bring even much more complexity into already quite complex module.

The way you use the Workshop is pretty specific and it is challenging to meet all possible specific use cases while also keeping the UI and functionality intuitive enough.

There are relevant feature requests reported in MDL-35594 and MDL-41400. The tracker is really the best place to suggest and discuss proposals like this.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mikael Kurula -

Thanks for considering the suggestions, and more generally teams in Workshop! By looking at the links to the tracker, I realized that groups in Workshop is a very recent development. I think that the Workshop module offers many opportunities to enhance learning, so it is surely valuable work.

I can appreciate that the module is complex and my use case specific.

In fact I had seen the documentation that you linked, but it didn't seem to describe how different group options function in the workshop.

by Mikael Kurula -

Hi,

I now bumped into this same issue again in another course. It is quite a pain for me to have to start feeding half of the grades into the grade book manually. Otherwise I'm very happy with the pedagogical benefits of peer-evaluated reports in applied maths courses.

Is there any hope to at least get the grade of the group's commonly submitted report to be entered automatically in the grade books of all group members within a foreseeable future. It would save the teacher from a lot of tedious work and it should be simple enough to implement?

Thanks a lot in any case!

by David Mudrák -

Yes, such a feature is on Workshop's roadmap. Meanwhile, voting for MDL-35594 will help us to advocate for putting this higher in the queue of features waiting to be developed.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mikael Kurula -

Thanks, I now voted. But I don't understand why the priority of the issue "minor". In my case, the workshop module is presently barely useable with groups/teams, and I cannot be the only teacher handing out exercises that are to be reported in groups.

I was hoping it would be possible to implement just the grade feature quicker than the complete solution. There is probably no major problem with the students going through the evaluations together.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Brian Holt -

Hi David,

replying to you on this old thread because I don't know if the OP is active (see my reply to him at the bottom of the original thread).

I'm wondering if you can answer that question of mine, of basically interpreting what the OP does for his combination of group and workshop activities.   Do you have any idea if the whole assignment is self contained in a workshop or does he have separate activities. 

I know I'm asking a lot...why/how would you know what he does, but I'm trying to piece together something and thought maybe you had a better intuition of what he does.

by Brian Holt -

Mikael,

Your post intrigues me as I'd like small groups to submit a report as a group, and then assess other group's report.

Are you saying (option A) your two member group does all of their work in a workshop, or are you saying (option B) they work in a different assignment, as a group, submit the group's single report, and then go into a workshop and then they evaluate other group's work?

Or is there some other system you have worked out?

Cheers

In reply to Brian Holt

by David Mudrák -

I'd like small groups to submit a report as a group, and then assess other group's report

The Workshop module does not support this scenario at the moment.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Brian Holt -

So then it sounds like to do that one would set up two activities, a workshop and then a group assignment?

In reply to Brian Holt

by Pal Fekete -

I too would like to see Groups (Teams) working in Workshop.

It works brilliantly in Assignment. One student submits for the group. When I mark the assignment for one student the grades are automatically updated for all members of the group. This includes using a Rubric which is my preferred method.

I set up my Workshop using;

• Common module settings and Grouping
  • Activity completion and students in one class

Sadly when I submit an activity as a test student in a group of four there is no record that the assignment is submitted for the other members as it is in Assignment. I'm then concerned that when I mark it for this student the grades won't be updated for the other students?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)