Boost Theme not loading

Boost Theme not loading

by Tifano T -
Number of replies: 22

Hi moodlers,

This is the first time I come across this issue.

I have installed new Moodle 3.2 via cPanel provided, however, when I use boost theme it doesn't work as seen on the image., 

Login Page stuffed css

It's like the css does not load at all.

Clean theme works fine, I also tried Klass theme same problem as boost.

Anyone got an idea what could be the issue?

Thanks heap guys.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tifano T

Re: Boost Theme not loading

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

If this is a completly new setup using Softiculous or some other random cPanel installer, then it could very well be a problem with the server especially the PHP setup.

There are numerous discussions in the General > Installing and Upgrading Forum

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=28

That said, when installing Moodle files and stuff, and before the Admin User set up, did you get any checks/alerts showing that the database is using the wrong set up? Or was it a very straight forward setup and you just logged in as Admin User?

I'm not convinced it is a Boost theme problem but more of a Control Panal one as I had a similar situation a while ago. The thing is with cPanel you have limited access to fix the Database setup if it needs changing.

I may need to move this to the General help forum, but I will wait untill you can tell me more about what problems, if any, you encountered when setting up your Moodle site.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Tifano T

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Try Site administration / Development / Purge all caches.

I remember also intermittently having this problem with Moodle 3.2.  I think this was fixed along the way.  Consider upgrading.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tifano T -

Hi Rick,

Tried that but still the same

Thanks for your response smile 

In reply to Tifano T

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Next idea.  Go to Site administration / Server / Environment.  Do you get all "okays".

If so, how easy is it for you to upgrade your moodle to a newer version?  Or install a separate newer version?  As I mentioned, I do recall a certain version of moodle and boost just not working right on one of my experimental servers, but this seemed to be resolved along the way.

Upgrading your moodle is not very difficult.  I assume that this moodle of yours is not in production yet.  Right?

Another idea.  Can you have your support people reboot your server?

One more idea.  Have you tried a different browser?  It might be your browser's internal cache creating this problem.

In reply to Tifano T

by Tifano T -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did a completely new manual setup.

I did get environmental check, but minimum recommendation were met, hence allowed me to finish installation.

I am not convinced either that Boost theme is a problem, because I have installed in various cPanel without issues.

You might be right there with PHP setup may be, the problem is I don't get any php error messages on Moodle, perhaps they could lead em to the problem.

Let's conclude this is not a theme thing?

Thanks Mary

In reply to Tifano T

by Tifano T -

As I’m not convinced now that it’s a Boost theme issue, I think, as you suspected Mary, and as I haven’t had any issues installing the same in other cPabel, will ask the Linux tech guys to look into the PHP build.

Thanks Mary and Rick for responding to this.

Cheers

In reply to Tifano T

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Were you using the More theme by any chance?

if so then there was probably still is and think it is something to do with the PHP setup and the max number of calculations that are set somewhere the exact setting I have forgotten, but there is a discussion in tge General install problems forum. I'll try and find it and post a link to it...

M

In reply to Tifano T

by Mary Evans -

Were you using the More theme prior to switching to Boost theme by any chance?

if so then there was, and probably still is a problem, and think it is something to do with the PHP setup and the max number of calculations that are set somewhere the exact setting I have forgotten, but there is a discussion in tge General install problems forum. I'll try and find it and post a link to it...

M

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tifano T -

Hi Mary,

No, it's a new installation.

Unfortunately server admin couldn't find what causes the issue, hence reported back that it could be something to do with Moodle itself.

However, I have tried installing it in my private cPanel space and haven't had any issues, so I am not convinced it's a Moodle issue.

What amazes me is, with the server where Boost theme has issues displaying, the Server Checks seems to be ok, except mysql_full_unicode_support#File_format and mysql_full_unicode_support#Large_prefix have been flagged red check.

Do you think the two unchecked issues could be the cause?

Anyways, will jump into the General Installation forum to see if I can find the link you are referring to.

Thanks Mary smile

In reply to Tifano T

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If Clean works (generates cached 'all') and Boost does not then that indicates that the PHP SASS compiler is failing (not the LESS PHP compiler).  Then look at the PHP.log file on the server for errors and ensure that you are running the minimum PHP version required for M3.2 that you have.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Tifano T -
Thanks Gareth, will have a look at the logs.

By the way, I have had a quick look at php info the PHP version installed

is 5.6.3 where as required by Moodle 3.2 is 5.6.5.

Do you think the 0.0.2 difference could be the problem?

Thanks

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 at 12:47 am, Gareth J Barnard (via Moodle.org) <
In reply to Tifano T

by Mary Evans -

Yes you need to upgrade as soon as possible to 7.0 or higher if you can.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tifano T

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

One question I have is, if your server check showed several red check marks AND you have a lower version of PHP than required, then how did you get Moodle installed in the first place? It should not have installed with those kind of errors in the server environment in the first place.

Usually a warning which will allow the installation to continue will be orange and advise checking, while a failed test would be red and should prevent installation - you've said the two tests you mentioned were red checkmarks, while a lower PHP version should also have given a red failed check.

Yes that 0.0.2 would make a difference. If Moodle says 5.6.5 is the minimum requirement then that's what you need.

Please upgrade your server environment - make sure EVERYTHING is installed the way it should be, with no red check marks, minimum versions of server side software - PHP, MySQL, etc. THEN see if Boost and everything else works properly. The chances are at the moment Boost is just the first thing you have come across and there will be other things that dont work properly. They may be in the background and less visible, but they will make your site unstable, if not entirely broken. That after all is why there are minimum requirements and server environment checks.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Tifano T -

Anyways, Hi Richard,

1. My understanding the "Other Checks" may not stop you from installing Moodle?

2. Having looked at Moodle installed in my private cPanel I am not quite sure why would that slight version difference be an issue. The PHP I have is 5.6.30, with Moodle version 3.3.2, (See attached) and everything works fine.

Anyways, will ask the host to update to the higher PHP version (7 recommended by Marry) and see how that goes.

Thanks

Attachment php version.png
In reply to Tifano T

by Tifano T -

Ooops! Sorry text stuffed up at the beginning of the reply above sad

In reply to Tifano T

by Mary Evans -

Oh how I love happy endings...

Cheers

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tifano T -

Oh yeah! Very close, Thanks Mary.

Love your dancing emoticon but can't figure out how to add it to my reply lol big grin

Thanks,

Tiffan

In reply to Tifano T

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Mary's advice to upgrade to 7.0 is the right way to go - but for info 5.6.30 is higher than 5.6.5 and therefore would be fine, while the 5.6.3 is lower

I know its confusing, but dont treat them as decimals (ie .30 = .3 < .5 ) treat them as separate numbers with the . simply as a divider ie Major release 5, Minor release 6, Point release 3, or 5 or 30

re the 'Other checks' - yes, but I thought those other 'optional' checks were orange warnings rather than red (usually meaning a fail and preventing the install) as you stated? Apologies if I'm mistaken, but that was my recollection and I can't test as I have already made those changes on my systems.

Anyway, hopefully the move to PHP7 will get things going for you smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Tifano T -

Haha! You gotta love Moodle community.

Thanks for this piece of lesson Richard, to be honest, I was treating them as decimal sad

Sorry, the checks flagged orange and not red.

Thanks Richard, once the server owners have made PHP update will get back here and update.

Cheers

In reply to Tifano T

by Tifano T -

As suggested, server administrator has upgraded PHP to version 7 and all sorted now. Cheers

Thank you Mary, Richard, Rick and Gareth for your time replying to this thread, appreciate. smile

Cheers,

Tifano